Re: Static IPs not sticking - Known Actiontec router bug?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the Asus is set to AP mode the DHCP server should disabled. It shouldn't be given the out IP addresses. Is the Asus still connected? I'm curious if while still in AP mode can you go to the LAN settings and see if the DHCP is disabled. 

I'll still have the G1100 setup so tomorrow morning I'll let you know if the IP changed. 

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Currently:

The cameras are still connected correctly to the IPs outside the distribution group.

The Asus is still connected in AP mode.

Asus Lan page: (not sure how to interpret the terminology so here are the contents):

• Get LAN IP Automatically?  Yes / No   Yes is selected
  • Connect to DNS Server automatically?  Yes / No   No is selected
  • DNS server 1 and 2 fields are empty with no numbers

In ASUS 'device connection list', now the camera IPs are correctly displayed with the correct numbers exactly as in the Verizon router.

Things now seem fine since I did what you suggested about resetting the Verizon router and using IPs outside the distribution group.  If this continues, I'm golden . Thank you very very much.

If this persists for another 24-48 hrs, I'll return and mark it as the solution.

What do you think of gs0b's comments higher up about not using the IPs outside the distribution group? His explanation was very persuasive but when I followed his suggestion and reverted to the fixed IPs within the distribution group is when everything went haywire again. So you were correct but his explanation seemed so persuasive.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree with gs0b, I would rather have the static IPs set directly in each camera and outside the DHCP range. But if there is no way to configure the IPs directly into each camera I figured we could try something else. 
Some routers actually won’t let you reserve IPs outside the DHCP range. Luckily the G1100 does let you. 
As far as the Asus that sounds good. It’s getting a dynamic IP from the G1100. Nothing needs to be in the DNS field since the router is taking care of that. 

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Progress! It's now about 12 hrs later.

Cameras remain connected except for one camera. Unplugging that camera from electric power and repowering it brings it back online at the same static/reserved ip it was set for. The unchanging ip is now a huge improvement because previously it used to sometimes acquire a new ip address.

I'm guessing that camera's connection loss is probably due to poor wifi signal strength at that camera's location. Correct? If so, I could fix that with a tp-Link repeater or similar. Correct?

Is there an android tool I can use to determine wifi strength at various locations around the house?

Is there an android tool I can use to determine RSSI at various locations around the house in case that is part of the problem?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great! Yes same for me  over 12 hours and IPs are still good. I would suspect a bad wifi signal for the camera. Yes you could get a wireless repeater to help. Just remember that a wireless repeater shouldn't be next to the device it should be somewhere in between the router and the device. 

Download a wifi analyzer tool from the Play Store. It will show you the RSSI score and best channel. 

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for all the help. And the patience!

I will get some repeaters. Probably tp-link re200 because i already have one and they are inexpensive and easy to use. Any problems with having 2-3 (or too many) around the house?

Would you suggest a different repeater?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess it really depends on the house. You can use the wifi analyzer app to see where the wifi is bad around the house. This way you can determine how many you might need. 

Just try to make sure they are on different non-overlapping channels like 1, 6 and 11. 

I would say if that repeater works for you it's safe to go with another one. 

Re: Static ip for cameras
mattwithcats
Enthusiast - Level 2

An IP address reference....

There is a STATIC IP address,

a DHCP IP address.

and a  RESERVED DHCP Address...

Think of DHCP addresses like chairs in a concert hall.  First person in the door gets seated, or assigned, first available chair, or IP address, chair 1, second gets chair 2, third gets chair 3, etc. 

Computer in chair 5 gets up and leaves. 

The next computer to be seated will fill the first available chair, chair 5...

Reserved DHCP puts a name, or a MAC address, on a specific chair.  No one else can sit there, only that MAC address...

A static IP address means that the computer brings its own seat into the concert hall.  The IP address, or chair, is assigned permanently by the computer, not the DHCP server.  This can lead to the chair that was brought in conflicting with a chair assigned by the DHCP server, or if the IP address subnet changes, the chair not fitting in the concert hall.

I have had a wireless printer on a reserved DHCP address for years.  Every time it asks the DHCP server for an address, it gets the same one....