Still have Apple update download issues
rtteachr

Has anyone figured out anything further on Apple and downloading iOS 8? Still can't get it to download at normal speeds here. Can't download the AppleTV update either. I tried the Google DNS and it made no difference. I'm guessing it has to do with Apple moving to their own servers, because I was having issues prior to this. At least the AppleTV update is down to 2 hours instead of 18. Still can't get the iPad update to download. Is it a matter of the servers getting slammed still or a FIOS/APPLE issue?

0 Likes
Re: Still have Apple update download issues
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

This issue has been discussed in a few other threads, most recently here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/All-Apple-updates-time-out-But-through-a-VPN-it-s-fine/td...

I'm having the same problem, not being able to update an iPad via FiOS.  It also took hours to download a relatively small MacBook Pro update yesterday. 

Possible solutions are discussed in that other thread. I posted one that worked for me when trying to update my wife's iPhone to iOS 8.   It seems that for the time being, you have to get off of the FiOS network to download from Apple's servers.

0 Likes
davemcq

We're an Apple household.

The iOS 8 update took a long time, maybe 8-12 hours.  I stopped watching but it ran overnight and was there in the morning.  If you do the install, which took about 15 minutes I believe, leave yourself a few more minutes to set the phone up. Know your iCloud login and password before you start.  I think the slow speed is due to Apple's servers, either due to heavy traffic or down-throttling in anticipation of heavy traffic. It did seem to go faster at 1:00am than at 6:00pm.  Also, on my first attempt, the download failed in the middle. Once I got it restarted, I stopped playing with my phone for the night while it downloaded.

I never check on or notice when or at what speed the AppleTV downloads updates. All I know is it sometimes reboots itself in the wee hours of the morning.  It always works so I stay blissfully ignorant of its updates.  I've never been in the situation where I was waiting for a new app to be supported.

Our updates for Mac OSX recently downloaded at "normal" speed, which is much faster than the iOS update.

0 Likes
rtteachr

Saw that thread. nfortunately, I can't get off of Verizon's network for the download. I tried other DNS servers with no luck. I guess I have to wait and see if it resolves itself this week as the servers have less activity at Apple. 

0 Likes
idiotbee
Enthusiast - Level 2
Definitely not an Apple server congestion problem. I haven't been able to download either the 11.4 iTunes update or iOS 8.0 for my Windows desktop PC or any of my Apple devices (two iPads and one iPhone) at my house using my FiOS. Went to my mother's with her Time Warner connection, and had the iOS 8.0 update downloaded and installed in a half hour. If things don't change real quick, I'll be canceling my FiOS service and returning to Time Warner. There is no excuse for this.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Here is a fix that may work for this issue as well. YMMV but feel free to try it

Another advanced user found the bad Apple CDN's "blackholes" and posted the fix work around.

If you're relatively savvy you can try it.

he writes

This NANOG poster hit the nail on the head, Apple didn't buy enough or the right capacity into Verizon:

»permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.op···g/124173

The good news is there are options... if your router supports static routing and blackholes, you can route 17.253.0.0/16 to the bit bucket there. Otherwise, in OSX you can do something like 'sudo route add 17.253.0.0/16 127.0.0.1' from the command prompt with the same results. (Of course this won't change how your iOS device fetches updates, only your mac.) The OS will fail back to other CDNs and the transfers will be fast.

Hopefully Apple will realize the mistake here and go back to using reliable CDNs like Akamai. Their in house one just isn't ready for prime time.
0 Likes
Gregdude
Had same issue starting last Wednesday. Tuesday I updated my iPad Air and iPhine 5. Wednesday I was unable to update my wife' iPad and nail now (Monday) could not get IOS 8 to download. Finally I went to a friend who has Comcast and the download took 6 minutes. Obviously Verizon FIOS is the issue.
0 Likes
uwsnyc
I called verizon "customer support" explaining that Time Warner was working but not FiOS. Verizon insisted it was an Apple issue.
0 Likes
6t9chgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

For what its worth, after 4 days of trying to download iOS 8, I finally got it to work.

Verizon FIOS DNS servers were the problem for me.

Went through a list of free DNS servers using this site

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

and I chose first the Google servers (easiest to type in ) & it didnt change anything. Still got the dreaded "Connecting to Apple Servers" box.

Used the first DNS server on the list....Level3

209.244.0.3 & 209.244.0.4

and gave those a try......

.SUCCESS! 6 MINUTES TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE!!!!!!

6 Minutes from this!!!

telliott5

I was having the same issue trying to update my Apple TV and my iPhone for the last couple of days. The download times were showing as 18 hours and over 1 day , respectively. I was having not speed issues with anything else interestingly.

I was contacted Verizon support three times over chat. The last gentlemen I repeatedly told I was going to drop Verizon FiOS if they didn't fix the issue. He kept trying to say it was an Apple issue (e.g. overloaded due to iPhone release, CDN change, yadda yadda). I knew this was **bleep** because at work I was able to download iOS 8 in 5 minutes (yes, I realize this is not an apples-to-apples comparison, but still).

Anyway, after closing a very frustrating chat window I notice a couple of minutes later that my internet service went out. I went downstairs to check the router and noticed it was recycling. It recycled again a couple of minutes later. I realized then that Verizon was doing it remotely. Aha!

Once if finished recycling the second time, I tried downloading the software updates from Apple again. Success! I was able to download both in minutes, not hours or days.

So, did Verizon simply recycle the router and that cleared up the issue or did Verizon do something a little more? I leave it to everyone's own cynicism to answer that question.

0 Likes