×

Switch Account

Stop throttling streaming video!

Stop throttling streaming video!

SOLVED
Reply
Highlighted
Contributor CamSun88
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-21-2017
Message 1 of 23
(30,108 Views)

I was a satisfied Fios customer in Manhattan for 5 years until this year:

 

Since early 2017, streaming video hits a bottleneck every day from roughly 4pm through 8pm. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc. becomes unwatchable - endless pauses and buffering. 

 

Now I must considering dumping Verizon entirely because of their contempt for customers. Verizon has paid millions in legal penalties and settlements due to their corporate practices. Respect the people who put food on your table and stop throttling internet service. 

 

 

22 REPLIES 22
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 4,609
Registered: ‎10-18-2016
Message 2 of 23
(30,094 Views)

@CamSun88 wrote:

I was a satisfied Fios customer in Manhattan for 5 years until this year:

 

Since early 2017, streaming video hits a bottleneck every day from roughly 4pm through 8pm. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc. becomes unwatchable - endless pauses and buffering. 

 

Now I must considering dumping Verizon entirely because of their contempt for customers. Verizon has paid millions in legal penalties and settlements due to their corporate practices. Respect the people who put food on your table and stop throttling internet service. 

 

 


Lets get the situation straight. Verizon wireless is throttling due to having unlimited customers viewing more content.

Verizon Fios is not throttling their Internet service.

The hours you are stating is prime time in New York City. Broadband Internet is not an infinite resource but a shared resource. The slow downs are because more people like yourself are watching Netflix, and Amazon Prime, Hulu, Directtvnow or Acorn TV as well as gaming and video conferencing.

 

You have more people using it. If that is a reason to leave then go where you will be the happiest. 

Verizon is still the best Internet. But it is not used just by one person.

 

Contributor PapaSnippy
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-22-2017
Message 3 of 23
(30,023 Views)

@jonjones wrote:

@CamSun88 wrote:

I was a satisfied Fios customer in Manhattan for 5 years until this year:

 

Since early 2017, streaming video hits a bottleneck every day from roughly 4pm through 8pm. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc. becomes unwatchable - endless pauses and buffering. 

 

Now I must considering dumping Verizon entirely because of their contempt for customers. Verizon has paid millions in legal penalties and settlements due to their corporate practices. Respect the people who put food on your table and stop throttling internet service. 

 

 


Lets get the situation straight. Verizon wireless is throttling due to having unlimited customers viewing more content.

Verizon Fios is not throttling their Internet service.

The hours you are stating is prime time in New York City. Broadband Internet is not an infinite resource but a shared resource. The slow downs are because more people like yourself are watching Netflix, and Amazon Prime, Hulu, Directtvnow or Acorn TV as well as gaming and video conferencing.

 

You have more people using it. If that is a reason to leave then go where you will be the happiest. 

Verizon is still the best Internet. But it is not used just by one person.

 


You are wrong. I have throttle issue with FIOS too. When I open any youtube video - it buffers all the time, when I connect to vpn - video start playing instant, then when I disconnect from vpn - video start buffering again.

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 4,609
Registered: ‎10-18-2016
Message 4 of 23
(30,001 Views)

Again Verizon Fios does not throttle and you are not on metered data.

it is First and foremost the congestion due to usage by your neighbors in your area.

 

lord in NYC don’t expect a single pipe feed just for your use 😀

a vpn may be better since it may be less congested .

Contributor earlegdall
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-24-2017
Message 5 of 23
(29,954 Views)

We just switched from Comcast and thought Fios was much better until we tried to access our Netflix account by streaming. Can't do it at all. And the response I just read from Verizon is, while adult, just pompous and a sign that Verizon is not customer oriented. We are re-thinking our decision. Verizon could just a few lessons in how to listen to customer concerns and respond with true concern and a desire to help.

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 4,609
Registered: ‎10-18-2016
Message 6 of 23
(29,946 Views)

@earlegdall wrote:

We just switched from Comcast and thought Fios was much better until we tried to access our Netflix account by streaming. Can't do it at all. And the response I just read from Verizon is, while adult, just pompous and a sign that Verizon is not customer oriented. We are re-thinking our decision. Verizon could just a few lessons in how to listen to customer concerns and respond with true concern and a desire to help.


Please remember your are conversing with human beings just like yourself. Humans make mistakes, have bad days, and don’t always have the answers.

We use Netflix, Amazon Prime, Acorn TV, Hulu, and DirectTVNOW and never ever have any issues. It is possible there is high congestion on your fiber. Device dependent if you use a Router with a Apple TV, Firestick or tablet be it on WiFi or direct connection via ethernet all of which you never said the type of connection you are using or what.

wifi speeds will always be slower.

 

if you call Verizon and they say your speed shows no issues then you know it is a streaming service issue and not Verizon’s fault. The speed for the streaming services are not that high so I would guess it’s your devices not set up correctly.

When there are streaming issues like with Netflix there is a trouble code shown. Mark it down and contact them. Verizon does not fix Netflix etc. issues.

 

Moderator Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8,726
Registered: ‎03-18-2013
Message 7 of 23
(29,917 Views)

Hi earlegdall,

This community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. The posts are contributed by users like you.  If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly at 1-800-VERIZON.

Contributor Geocentricity
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎09-25-2017
Message 8 of 23
(29,843 Views)

1800 VERIZON isn't even the proper number for Verizon Fios support. I've called at least 5 times in the past 30 days and you know what the automated system asks me every single time? "ARE YOU CALLING REGARDING YOUR VERIZON WIRELESS ACCOUNT?" NO! I don't even use Verizon wireless! And to answer the automated system to even consider sending you to a rep takes at least 10 minutes with another 20 minutes of hold time. 

 

Verizon isn't delivering it's contractual agreement by NOT PROVIDING THE DATA SPEED AS PAID FOR BY THE CONSUMER. If you want to play semantics and claim "oh its UP TO XX/XX up and down, not guaranteed", well then why aren't car makes making cars claiming it gets UP TO 40mpg, but in reality it gets 5mpg? 

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 4,609
Registered: ‎10-18-2016
Message 9 of 23
(29,812 Views)

@Geocentricity wrote:

1800 VERIZON isn't even the proper number for Verizon Fios support. I've called at least 5 times in the past 30 days and you know what the automated system asks me every single time? "ARE YOU CALLING REGARDING YOUR VERIZON WIRELESS ACCOUNT?" NO! I don't even use Verizon wireless! And to answer the automated system to even consider sending you to a rep takes at least 10 minutes with another 20 minutes of hold time. 

 

Verizon isn't delivering it's contractual agreement by NOT PROVIDING THE DATA SPEED AS PAID FOR BY THE CONSUMER. If you want to play semantics and claim "oh its UP TO XX/XX up and down, not guaranteed", well then why aren't car makes making cars claiming it gets UP TO 40mpg, but in reality it gets 5mpg? 


1-800-922-0204 is Verizon Wireless. However Verizon is jumping over to a singular number to handle their calls. Yes it’s asks if you are calling about the wireless etc. but a simple push of a button gets you to Fios.

 

And Car manufacturers do say up to. Go back and read their ads.

And cable companies also require you to call the right department via phone tree. 

 

Contributor Geocentricity
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎09-25-2017
Message 10 of 23
(29,795 Views)

You missed the last sentence in my post. And no, it's not a simple push of a button to get to Fios support. I should know, I called multiple times in 30 days.

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.



Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.