Stopping Fios Tv and phone and keeping WIFI. Want to use my own router.
canuhlp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've read a bunch of the posts on how to connect to your own router and I just want to make sure I am right before I find myself without service. My current Verizon router has a cable connected to the WAN and a coax cable attached. Since I am getting rid of the FIOS TV, am I correct that I can undo the coax connections, unplug the cable from the WAN on Verizon's router and plug the cable into the WAN port on whatever new router I purchase. Is this correct? Also do I still have to release the DHCP lease on verizon's router before I plug in mine? Are there any steps I am missing?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Stopping Fios Tv and phone and keeping WIFI. Want to use my own router.
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That’s correct. No need for coax anymore. Just plug WAN ethernet into your router. 

I personally don’t have to release my IP anymore for quite some time now. But if it doesn’t work just plug your Verizon router back in and release the IP. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That’s correct. No need for coax anymore. Just plug WAN ethernet into your router. 

I personally don’t have to release my IP anymore for quite some time now. But if it doesn’t work just plug your Verizon router back in and release the IP. 

canuhlp
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much!

0 Likes