Successful at extending wifi range?
TiffandRich
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need to extend my wifi range or boost the router's signal.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully with the Verizon router?

I cannot add another access point due to physical restrictions that won't let me run an ethernet cable from the existing router to where I need the range extended.

D-link has their DAP 1360 which looks like it might work, they also sell an omnidirectional antenna that "boosts" the signal.

I think I'd prefer the extender/repeater option even though it's a little more expensive.

Would appreciate feedback on what people have done to successfully extend their wifi range.

Thanks!

Re: Successful at extending wifi range?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have Coax to the other location where you want to add another access point?   If so, consider getting an HME2200 / ECB 2200 Moca adapter.   This will extend/bridge the ethernet LAN on your Verizon router to another room via the Coax (this is the same way the STB's for FiOS talk to the router to get to the internet).

There are several threads here on the ECB2200 and I use one personally to bridge my upstairs network to the basement which great success.

0 Likes
EGeorgeR

I have tried a Hawkins signal booster, but still have low to no signal in much of my house.

0 Likes
RobertGagne

Great, what does it mean in ordinary language, thanks. Bob G

0 Likes
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bought a Netgeat WN2500RP because I had weak signals in an addition area of my house.  It was easy to set up and works great.  I think a range extender is the easiest solution to extend WIFI range in a home.

0 Likes
davonavo2

New member, please bear with me

I too have the signal problem. What I was looking for was a "signal booster" that would continue to use the Verizon router as wifi signal source. I tried a Netgear Universal Range Extender . This would establish a new network to be accessed. This new network had no Internet access. Although it did allow me to connect to my home network.

I envision something that would take the Verizon router Wifi signal, amplify it, so it could be accessed in a "low signal area" location. I think this would be called a "booster" rather than a "range extender". I have seen units that replace the antenna on the router with a cable that connects to a larger antenna, through some electronic circuitry. Is this what I am looking for? Suggestions? Thanks. 

0 Likes
tpt91

just want ot make sure:  if i buy a HME2200 / ECB 2200 Moca adapter i will be able to get wifi in my basement where i could not before??

0 Likes
tpt91

PS  I already have coax in the basement

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tpt9 wrote:

just want ot make sure:  if i buy a HME2200 / ECB 2200 Moca adapter i will be able to get wifi in my basement where i could not before??

Yes, so long as the coax adapter in the basement is on the same coax network as your Verizon router.

You could also use a another Verizon router at the new access point. You can tyoically find lots of them on ebay at a cheaper price than the ecb 2200

0 Likes