Sudden slow download speeds just outside of DC

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 1 of 2
(472 Views)

I am just outside of DC, and I am experiencing the same issue many seem to be having in northern Virginia.  This is the 3rd day I have been experiencing this - it was all perfect until a few days ago.

Verizon first blamed my wireless connection, so I plugged in via ethernet.  Then, they blamed the router, so I got their new one.  Next, they blamed my browser, so we "optimized".   None of this helped, so after 6 collective hours on the phone, they finally agreed to send a tech.

The Verizon repair guy just left.  He had it working acceptably for a while, but as soon as he left, the speed dropped dramatically.

I am now back to 1 - 3megs download speed, when I am accustomed to 42 megs download speed. 

Unfortunately, my livelyhood depends on having a strong connection, so I am going to have to go back to Comcast.  I just can't bear another collective 6 hours on the phone with Verizon support insisting this is an issue with my hardware, when every computer I connect with and every router they send me produces the exact same issue.

Testing on the in-house Verizon speed doesn't duplicate the issue.  Since my speed starts out strong for the first few dozen seconds, the test is over before the speed dwindles down to under 1 meg. 

But I have been sending giant files back and forth to work for 2 years with Fios.  I used to be able to download a gig in 6 minutes average.  Those same files, from the same source, now take 8-9 hours each.

I guess I can keep the Fios TV and just go with Comcast for everything else.  While I had more technical issues with Comcast, at least they sent someone out to fix it promptly or addressed/identified the issue from their end, without me haggling for hours with the phone techs.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Status changed to: Resolved

Message 2 of 2
(351 Views)

Good Evening,

We were just checking with you to make sure issue was resolved. Please repost if you are still experiencing a problem.

Tonya D.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.