Sudden slowdown in connection speed
cj_freitag
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on a 35/20 plan. In the past, when I checked using speedtest.net, I was getting very close to those numbers. Since I haven't had problems I don't check often.

Last night while doing a normal Apple software update I saw very slow download speeds. When I did speedtest I was only getting about 3.5Mbps. This morning I am getting about the same. It's happening on two different computers (one wired, one wireless) as well as my iPad.

I'm in Rockland County, NY.

Is anyone seeing similar issues?

Re: Sudden slowdown in connection speed
Zskails
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi CJ,

I too am getting fustrated with slower speeds as of 9/13 ish or so.  I was either getting a lot of packet loss or jitter in my connection.  Same as you, happening on all computers in the home.  

I am also in Rockland NY.  

RSB3
Enthusiast - Level 1

This reminds me a lot of the days when I first had DSL over 10 years ago. The connection to the central office was great, but beyond that the Verizon Network had congestion issues. Maybe Verizon us rolling out their upgrades too quickly and their backbone networks can't handle the volumes, who knows. What I can says is that I see their network dropping a lot of packets, causing streaming video to no longer work. I too used to get the throughput they promised, but right now their network is at least as bad as the Cablevision network which I left because of their issues. Here's my trace showing which of their nodes is dropping. Remember that ALTER.NET is part of Verizon's network infrastructure. Their nodes appear to be dropping the packets.

Host Name                                                  IP Address        Hop    Ping Time   Ping Avg   % Loss    Pkts r/s   Ping best/worst
L100.NYCMNY-VFTTP-165.verizon-gni.net                      96.239.54.1       2      6ms         6ms        0%        80 / 80    5ms / 15ms
G0-11-3-7.NYCMNY-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net                    130.81.139.60     3      21ms        6ms        3%        77 / 80    5ms / 21ms
so-3-1-0-0.NY5030-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net                  130.81.199.12     4      18ms        19ms       12%       70 / 80    7ms / 106ms
0.so-0-0-0.XT2.NYC4.ALTER.NET                              152.63.17.21      5      8ms         11ms       8%        73 / 80    5ms / 56ms
TenGigE0-5-1-0.GW8.NYC4.ALTER.NET                          152.63.21.73      6      25ms        12ms       7%        74 / 80    8ms / 28ms
google-gw.customer.alter.net                               152.179.72.62     7      58ms        32ms       2%        77 / 79    8ms / 128ms
* Unknown Host *                                           209.85.255.68     8      8ms         10ms       3%        76 / 79    7ms / 58ms
* Unknown Host *                                           72.14.239.250     9      9ms                    100%      0 / 79
lga15s28-in-f3.1e100.net                                   74.125.226.195    10     10ms        8ms        8%        72 / 79    5ms / 13ms

I'd be happy to work with their engineers if they cared about these issues, but my experience is that they don't escalate the issues to the correct people or they don't allow their network engineers to address the issues. The problem is bad right now, and doesn't seem to be getting any better.

singulariti
Enthusiast - Level 1

Past couple days speed has come to a tiny crawl.  This site alone goes page to page very slow.  Anything else takes forever.  Tried resetting modem and nothing.

coronasrgood
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing for me and I am in Rockland as well.

Zskails
Enthusiast - Level 2

Called Verizon, unfortunately, no help....I am going to try taking my router and getting a new one to see if that helps...will update all in Rockland with this issue.

coronasrgood
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called verizon last night. They stated that since I have the 150/65 plan they should have used ethernet to the Actiontec instead of coax. They are coming Thursday to change it. Lets see if this works.

0 Likes
sjo11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Cj,Everyone,

Same problem here guys,I am also in Chestnut Ridge,Rockland County!After trouble with the DSL I got Fios,I loved and recommended it to all but now things are terrible!I might get a good number with Speedtest.net one second then get a terrible reading the next!This is an intermittent signal problem that goes up and down one minute to the next as I can see with Speedtest.net's  other Tests for Packets,Ping,Jitter,one minute I get a Grade of B but  then I get C's and F's over and over?Why can't they just say we are having problems and will fix it instead of blaming their customers systems?I knew it was not my system but went to two different neighbors houses and used different computers to Test their Fios systems just in case...both had the same problems and then  I read your reports and find the same,This Just Isn't  Right!Good Luck To All ,hope a fix comes soon!

SJO

0 Likes
Re: ROCKLAND COUNTY NY Sudden slowdown in connection speed
SteveRacer66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here.

speedtest.verizon.net reports at or above promised speed; for me that's 25/5.  Sure.  Of course.

Other "non-Verizon" speedtests  (speakeasy, AT&T, speedtest.net, CNET) give mixed and inconsistent results.  Paths to Chicago are at advertised speeds.  Some paths to NYC are fair (16/5) while others are terrible (100K/5) --  that's K, not M!

Upload speed is ALWAYS consistent and as advertised.

Rebooted ONT, Reset and rebooted MOCA router (Actiontech) several times, rebooted Sonicwall appliance, rebooted several computers, tested at ONT with laptop.  No improvements.  After a long phone session with a Verizon tech, problem SEEMED to be fixed.  But 10 minutes later it's back.  Some speed tests show a graph of the throughput -- which often starts fine and then "crashes" to nothing, sometimes spiking back, but then hitting rock bottom again.  Always on DOWNLOAD, UPLOAD seems fine.

I don't think it's a DNS issue based on my testing.  I have also ruled out everything on my side of the NIC (ONT, I guess).  Packet loss is low and ping latency doesn't seem to be a problem.

Glad (in a sick way) to hear it's not just me.

I suspect the problem lies where Verizon connects to the internet.  I thought it was a storm related issue, since I noticed it yesterday.  Perhaps not.  Either something is broken or the interface between the small pipes and large pipes is congested or over capacity because some of the equipment that would normally handle the traffic is down, and now they are trying to put 17 pounds of data in a 5 pound channel.

I'm in Rockland County also.   Nanuet, near PathMark on Rt. 59.

Good Luck -

Re: ROCKLAND COUNTY NY Sudden slowdown in connection speed
scottker1
Enthusiast - Level 1

If it's any consolation I'm in Southern California with 25/25 and seeing exactly the same thing.  Went through rebooting and testing everything and the tech on the phone told me that my router must be going bad.  We all know that probably isn't right but I'll install the new Generation E routher (that supports wireless N) anyway.

You know it's their backbone.