Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Sudden slowdown in connection speed

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Re: Sudden slowdown in connection speed

Message 31 of 71
(2,630 Views)

Same problem with the rest of yous guys...I am here in Fairfax County in the DC Metro area and I am on the 150/65 plan and my upload speeds are atrocious...I am getting 5.41MB upload on Speedtest.Net...SIGH...Rebooting router and computer....

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 32 of 71
(2,605 Views)

@SteveRacer66 wrote:

They also claimed alter.net had no business relationship with Verizon, and if I had a complaint I should contact whoever runs alter.net . . .  

Yet www.alter.net redirects you to verizonbusiness.com.  I'm no networking guru, but it sure looks to me like there's a direct relationship between the two.  And a 'whois' shows that the technical contact  for alter.net is Verizon Business Technical Support.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 33 of 71
(2,556 Views)

The pings should only steadily go up, not go up and then back down. The fact that that router is coughing up 160-170ms along the way is lame when it comes go gaming/streaming.

Anyways, having contacted Verizon finally, their tech support first asks me what hop the lag spike is happening at. After I tell them (hop 7), they tell me that anything on or after hop 7 is not on their end and I should check with wherever I'm trying to reach. It's a bit odd though because it's still on ALTER.NET and the IP domain is the same, but I didn't know what else to say to the tech.

Does anyone have any more insight?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 34 of 71
(2,540 Views)

Although the interim servers are suppose to eventually respond to pings,  many servers have it on a low priority.  So interim servers having a higher ping may mean a server is quite busy, but does not necessarily mean a problem.  If pings on later portions of the traceroute are lower, that is an indicator that it is not a big problem for gaming etc.

Grace Hopper used to give out foot long sections of wire to represent nanoseconds to remind people that distance that ideally a signal can carry.  Early computers developed lots of problems because the wired path was too long.  A signal across the country even if direct no hops and no delays would take something like 16 ms.  But we know the world isn't that perfect.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 35 of 71
(2,511 Views)

Still slow speeds...UGH...What is going on VZ??!!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 36 of 71
(2,510 Views)

I'm on the 25/15 (usually I get 25/25 @ speedtest) and I've noticed the internet slowdown recently in the Southern Maryland area.  I've had my plan for at least 2 years with no issues.  I've been checking throughout the last few days and the problem only seems to occur at night (after 7 PM or so).

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 37 of 71
(2,501 Views)

BTW: This is what makes me really mad:

Notice this is 11 minutes later....

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 38 of 71
(2,500 Views)

And another 5 minutes ... (albeit it from a different server)

I'll stop now .. I think that makes my point.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 39 of 71
(2,491 Views)

I am in the Northern VA/DC Metro area and I have the 150/65 internet package and my speeds are below cable...This is some BullSugar...VZ needs to fix this and I mean ASAP...I pay well WE ALL pay way too much money for this service....Look at these speedtests I just did on my computer at 8:45PM tonight...

Verizon DC SpeedTest.jpg

Verizon DC SpeedTest 2.jpg

Verizon DC SpeedTest 3.jpg

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 40 of 71
(2,477 Views)

I am in the same area, bur Montgomery County, and could not get Quantum 150/65. Now I am glad I am at Quantum 75/35 maybe. Who needs 500 Horse Power when you can only go 55 on the beltway if your not sitting in traffic?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.