Re: Sudden slowdown in connection speed
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

Same problem with the rest of yous guys...I am here in Fairfax County in the DC Metro area and I am on the 150/65 plan and my upload speeds are atrocious...I am getting 5.41MB upload on Speedtest.Net...SIGH...Rebooting router and computer....

MOFD
Enthusiast - Level 2

@SteveRacer66 wrote:

They also claimed alter.net had no business relationship with Verizon, and if I had a complaint I should contact whoever runs alter.net . . .  

Yet www.alter.net redirects you to verizonbusiness.com.  I'm no networking guru, but it sure looks to me like there's a direct relationship between the two.  And a 'whois' shows that the technical contact  for alter.net is Verizon Business Technical Support.

ssesf
Enthusiast - Level 2

The pings should only steadily go up, not go up and then back down. The fact that that router is coughing up 160-170ms along the way is lame when it comes go gaming/streaming.

Anyways, having contacted Verizon finally, their tech support first asks me what hop the lag spike is happening at. After I tell them (hop 7), they tell me that anything on or after hop 7 is not on their end and I should check with wherever I'm trying to reach. It's a bit odd though because it's still on ALTER.NET and the IP domain is the same, but I didn't know what else to say to the tech.

Does anyone have any more insight?

tns
Master - Level 2

Although the interim servers are suppose to eventually respond to pings,  many servers have it on a low priority.  So interim servers having a higher ping may mean a server is quite busy, but does not necessarily mean a problem.  If pings on later portions of the traceroute are lower, that is an indicator that it is not a big problem for gaming etc.

Grace Hopper used to give out foot long sections of wire to represent nanoseconds to remind people that distance that ideally a signal can carry.  Early computers developed lots of problems because the wired path was too long.  A signal across the country even if direct no hops and no delays would take something like 16 ms.  But we know the world isn't that perfect.

0 Likes
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

Still slow speeds...UGH...What is going on VZ??!!

Sadge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on the 25/15 (usually I get 25/25 @ speedtest) and I've noticed the internet slowdown recently in the Southern Maryland area.  I've had my plan for at least 2 years with no issues.  I've been checking throughout the last few days and the problem only seems to occur at night (after 7 PM or so).

Sadge
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW: This is what makes me really mad:

Notice this is 11 minutes later....

Sadge
Enthusiast - Level 2

And another 5 minutes ... (albeit it from a different server)

I'll stop now .. I think that makes my point.

nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

I am in the Northern VA/DC Metro area and I have the 150/65 internet package and my speeds are below cable...This is some BullSugar...VZ needs to fix this and I mean ASAP...I pay well WE ALL pay way too much money for this service....Look at these speedtests I just did on my computer at 8:45PM tonight...

prisaz
Legend

I am in the same area, bur Montgomery County, and could not get Quantum 150/65. Now I am glad I am at Quantum 75/35 maybe. Who needs 500 Horse Power when you can only go 55 on the beltway if your not sitting in traffic?