Re: Sudden slowdown in connection speed
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

Good one and don't get me started on this crappy behind DC traffic....Also Virginia now is making the Beltway one big @$$ toll road costing us about $20 one way....LAWD!!!! Let's build more roads Virginia and NO SUBWAY....LAWD!!!!

0 Likes
sjo11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to say but there  seems to be a problem again,the signal is good at timesl(15 or 20,paying for 50)but it's  intermittent and constantly jumpy and skipping,I can always tell there is something wrong when the video playing is continually  buffering , something that never happened for the first couple of years that I had  FIOS,I was wondering if anyone else is  having problems?I then check Speakeasy,which always gives the best picture  of how my computer is actually  running(where  the Verizon test does not and is really not reliable at all) and not only get a low reading but the red ball that shows the test's  progress constantly  stops,skips  and freezes all through the test?It always seems the worst when using the servers around the New York area?Thanks again for all the help in  getting this problem to the forefront but we now have to get it fixed completely!

Any Help Greatly Appreciated,

Thanks,Have A Good Day,

SJO

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@nycplayboy78 wrote:

@Good one and don't get me started on this crappy behind DC traffic....Also Virginia now is making the Beltway one big @$$ toll road costing us about $20 one way....LAWD!!!! Let's build more roads Virginia and NO SUBWAY....LAWD!!!!

Yea I take the MARC commuter train from Germantown Maryland to Union station every day. Free parking in Germantown, and with a monthly or weekly MARC train ticket the Metro bus is free when I get to DC. I refuse to pay the subway. At Germantown the train station is 1.8 miles from my house. Relaxing and I can eat and drink on the train. Even pop a cold beer on the way home if I choose. Don't really do that though.

Sorry for being off topic. But I laugh at all the cars on the road.Smiley LOL

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Saturday night crawl again. Or inconsistant test. Web100 overload? Or only this server works? It looks as if the New Ookla is given priority on the network, perhaps over other traffic. No way to tell. I bet my firewall will give the true IP address of the servers.Smiley Wink

All I know for the last two weekends, my performance has dropped way off and I have had page lockup on various web sites, which is not acceptable at 75/35. Or 150/65 if I had it.

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 22.95Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.65Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_07

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 818688 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic. (On Verizon's Network?)
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

THIS IS BAD!

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 92.94 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 22 packets retransmitted, 230 duplicate acks received, and 245 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 0.3 seconds (2.5%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 48.24% of the time.
This connection is network limited 51.76% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

thats wierd it says you're on a ds3 link.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yep BPON and PPPOE and it knows no better. I traced it back to what ever servers are behind 206.46.194.226. The test opens multiple connections on port 8080 in order to complete its task. Running both tests to the midatlantic server it still seems like it goes to texas. I believe it just wants to know where you are? You will need to zoom to see the image. But regardless the connection seems to time out and slow down during sped tests. This trace did not complete a name resolution. I believe there is a reason for that. The test servers are probably running on VMs with a few IPs to a cloud. Just my guess.

0 Likes
MDRyan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here boys this is my post from the other thread http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Speed-issues-in-Montgomery-County-Maryland-DC-Metro-Or/m-...

I just did the speakeasy.net/speedtest (one I've used ever since I got verizon, and have only been using speedtest.net based on their recomendation) these are my results:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3578 kbps (447.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 18476 kbps (2309.5 KB/sec transfer rate) 

PingTest is the only way I can get an Ooakla server 

http://www.pingtest.net/result/70085552.png (comcast server  :smileysad: )

http://www.pingtest.net/result/70085601.png (Ashburn VA so less than 20 miles away)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/70085623.png (DC Ooakla server less than 20 miles away)  (best results but still bad)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/70085658.png (DC Ooakla again as you can see it can get even worse for me :smileysad: )

As for my speedtests what will happen is it'll shoot to 70+mbps and then stall 3/4 of the way finished and then take multiple minutes to finish and list a speed of like 3mbps :smileysad: 

I guess its good that I can't even get the verizon speed test to make it past Testing in process.

Love my fios, and while I'm willing to put up with it for awhile it sure won't be forever.

Anyone have any issues getting bills adjusted? 

0 Likes
airjay81
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I new to this discussion, but I experienced very similar speed slowdown with my FiOS 50/25 service yesterady, 9/29, particularly in the evening.  I'm in Fairfax County, VA, just outside the beltway.  Upload speeds seemed to stay high throughout most of the day and evening, but download speeds decreased to as little as 0.5 mbps at times.  Usually, could get somewhere betwen 3-9 mbps, but nowhere near the promised speeds.  Tried all different types of online speedtests, and all seemed to confirm that the download speeds were slowing to pretty much a crawl.  Tried to download a TV show on my Apple TV which normally takes less than 30 seconds before it is ready to view, and it said something like your show will be ready in 1 hour 45 minutes. 

Now, of course this morning, 9/30, internet speeds seem to be back up where they are supposed to be - just tested on speedtest.net and got a 31 mbps download and 39 upload (as an aside, I have never gotten anywhere close to 50 mpbs on the download side).

The most natural explanation seemed to me to be network congestion, particularly since I was experiencing these issues on a Saturday and, in particular, a Saturday evening.  But, download speeds as low as 0.5 mbps?  I mean, I might as well connect my devices using my iPhone mobile hotspot.  Sounds like from the discussion on this board that I am not alone in my problems, so I am guessing it is a network wide problem.  I know I have not had these types of problems in the past with FiOS internet service. 

0 Likes
MDRyan
Enthusiast - Level 3

AirJay81 I fear it isn't anything even techs will be able to fix, as someone said they had to fight to get the gateway reset at the central office (my guess something happened with the storms two weeks ago). I'll know more after my first tech visit Monday, but I'm guessing I'll have a visit where they run new wires, another visit to replace ONT and then I'll just be back trying to beg to get the gateway at the CO reset, and if by Oct 31st this is still going on I'll head back to comcast :(.

Verizon has enough good will from me over the years to give them a real shot to fix it even if I do think it should only be 1 call to the CO to get help.

0 Likes
MDRyan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update Tech vist, great guy stayed and monitored and really got to see how I'd get 3mbps then 20mbps, and then 10mbps, exc. Called in to the CO or some kind of employee only tech center, and the guy on the phone seemed compitent enough, and I pretty much got the answer I was expecting (we won't reset the central office gateway (yet) becuase 1 or 2 reports, basically tech said get people to call!!! )

So he's coming back tomorrow to run pings and its been teir 2 escladed... I just worry they'll come back it'll be fine and then I'm back to square one 😞  

My guess eventually we'll get to the Gateway 

0 Likes