Super-slow FTP download speed
jmarkman

I recently switched from Time Warner to Verizon FiOS and it's been a whole lot better in terms of service except for one thing: FTP speed. When I log into Filezilla and try to download something, my download speed plummets to 30 kb/s and slower. I've tried switching FTP clients and saw no change, and tried accessing my ftp via Firefox and Chrome; neither option changed my slow as molasses FTP speeds. There's no problem with my connection (I'm wired, not wireless) and my speeds are reading as higher than advertised.

Is there something I'm not checking for or is Verizon simply throttling my FTP DL speed?

0 Likes
Re: Super-slow FTP download speed
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Verizon doesn't throttle downoad or upload speeds.

I use SFTP via WinSCP for downloads and uploads from/to my web server.   Either way, up or down, I see ~5 mB/s (about 40 mb/s) for a single file.  If I transfer multiple files at once I always max out my 75/75 service.

I've never used FileZilla, but I suggest you give WinSCP a try and see if you have the same problem.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use FireZilla all the time and have no problems with transfer speeds.

Some FTP sites run slower than others, but I chalk that up to slower links between "here" and "there."

I've never seen any real evidence of throttling by Verizon on any service.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
jmarkman

I downladed WinSCP and experienced equally slow speeds, sadly.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You might try getting a new WAN IP address.  Detailed steps how to do so can be found here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/How-am-I-able-to-change-my-ip-address/m-p/703336#M47733

0 Likes
jmarkman

I got a new WAN address and it seems to have only slightly alleviated the problem, increasing download speeds from 30 kB/s to  70 kB/s but anything greater than 300 MB in size will still take an hour plus to download. Thanks for the tip because it's on the right path.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Sorry to hear you're still having the problem.  I'm out of ideas at the moment. I hope someone else will jump in with a suggestion that fixes the issue for you.

Good luck.

0 Likes