Re: Surcharge on old routers?
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

I just received an email on Friday explaining the router surcharge or need to upgrade to the newer router. 

Like many here I've got an old Actiontec MI424-WR Rev F that came with the service when I switched to FiOS many years ago.  I used the router for the intial setup then switched over to my Netgear router as it was a dual band N router and have used it exclusively for many years.  I have no need for the Actiontec router as I am only using FiOS for Internet access. And, if my old router bites the dust, I'll be happy to buy whatever new router I want from someone other than Verizon. The Verizon routers don't offer me the capabilities I'd be looking for. 

The only thing my TV is used for is to watch VCR tapes and DVDs.

It's interesting to see that Verizon charges $199 for the G1100, while one can purchase it through Amazon for ~$146.

I'll be calling customer service tomorrow to find out what my options are.  If they want to charge me for using my own router, than it will be good-bye to Verizon FiOS.  I'll gladly return the old Actiontec router as it has been gathering dust since late 2011.

Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

I just got off the phone with Verizon customer service concerning the router service charge.

Verizon is sending me a router return kit to return the router. After they have verification that the router has been returned they will no longer bill the service fee to my account. 

There was no estimate on when I'd receive the return kit and I'm hoping that this all works out the way the customer service person said it would.

0 Likes
Forcing me to pay for a new router
gmo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Trying to find out why Verizon is trying to increase my router charge each month because it is an old router if I do not buy a new router. There is nothing in my contract that states this can be done.

Could Verizon please send me the lines in my contract that allow this?  If you want me to have anew router you are welcome to send me a new one free of charge.

0 Likes
Re: Forcing me to pay for a new router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Equipment charges are not part of the fixed price on your contract.

So equipment charges can chage as necessary.

And from what I hear, is pretty standard in the cable industry.

Re: Forcing me to pay for a new router
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@gmo wrote:

Trying to find out why Verizon is trying to increase my router charge each month because it is an old router if I do not buy a new router. There is nothing in my contract that states this can be done.

Could Verizon please send me the lines in my contract that allow this?  If you want me to have anew router you are welcome to send me a new one free of charge.

Head over to dslreports.com, there is a much more helpful thread there.  Some people are reporting they are getting free Rev I router upgrades sent to them so the fee will not apply to them. 

Your best bet when having any kind of FIOS issue is to go to the Verizon Direct Forum at dslreports.com.  After you state your issue you will be given a link to a North American rep via chat, no need to call FIOS or run the gaunlet of offshore script readers that you get when you call FIOS.

0 Likes
Davoud1

To add insult to injury, the e-mail and paper mail that I received offered only a refurbished replacement router. I phoned customer service and they couldn't help; only refurbs available.

OT: Verizon has the worst web site of any company that I do business with. When I log in I can only get to Verizon Wireless (I use AT&T for my iPhones, but have a Verizon MiFi). I can't get to FIOS services no matter what I do.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The older Rev I routers probably are only available as refurbed.

If you want one of the Quantum rotuers, they can be gotten as new but are more expensive.

On your home network, if you go to www.verizon.com and sign in with your FIOS id and password you don't see your FIOS account?

Forcing me to pay for new router
gmo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is Verizon tacking on an addiitonal charge for an old router if I do not purchase a new router. MY contract says nothing about having to purchase a new router. I can see if my old router breaks, but an addiitonal charge to my bill if I do not upgrade is not stated in the contract. If it is in the contract please show me.  If Verizon would like me to have a newer router they are free to send me one free of charge.

0 Likes
Re: Forcing me to pay for new router
schinfchin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I read somewhere in the forum that some of the old routers are no longer compatable and needs to be updated. I don't know about Verizon, but Time Warner never turns around and charge for everything.

Having said that, reminds me of my dad complaining about the same thing when NY Tel, Verizons predicessor, started charging extra for touch tone, and if he goes for touch tone, believe they charge for the new phone. He had his old dialer phone with bells on top since the 1940's, this was the 1970's, and he is angry that nothing is stated in his contract he had to pay extra, especially, when his phone still works.

Now, fast forward to the 1990's, he still uses that phone, my daughter who was 5 at the time, looked at it, and asked what it was. When told it was a phone, wanted to know why it had two bells on top. Wanted to know where the push buttons are, and wanted to know where the antenna for the phone is.

I have many fond memories of my dad, my daughter when she was five, and his stubborn refusal of touch tone is one of them.

0 Likes
Router Maintenance Charge Unjustifiable
happychun
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon imposes a new monthly router maintenance charge of $2.80 because we have an old model which is being discontinued.  Verizon offers a low cost alternative to the monthly charge with an upgrade to a refurbished newer model for $59.99.  This newer router is only a one-generation newer in technology having Wi-Fi 802.11n rather than the 802.11g on our current router.

We strongly disagree with the reasons Verizon stated for the mandatory maintenance charge and the enhanced Fios experience with Wi-Fi speeds we will get from the router upgrade.

We are not renting the router and therefore Verizon is not responsible for the repair cost.  We have not, and will not make any service calls since we are 100% satisfied with our current router performance.  The security features and internet speeds from our old router match with our computer hardware and the lowest internet speed we are subscribing to.  We strongly feel that it is unwarranted for Verizon to impose a charge for either repair or service call that they will not have performed.

The router upgrade offered is not a long-term solution to the technology issue Verizon stated.  The refurbished router is only one generation newer than the one we have.  This model will also be discontinued in the near future just like our current router.  Should we accept another upgrade offer from Verizon again within 2 years to avoid another new monthly router maintenance charge?   

A refurbished router having 802.11n technology does not enhance our internet experience with any faster speeds.  Our Fios service only includes the lowest speed of 50 Mbps because we do not need anything faster to work with Wi-Fi 802.11g on our old computers.  The refurbished router will not operate at a faster speed beyond the speed we subscribe to and the speed our computers are limited to.  To increase our internet experience we need to upgrade our subscription to higher internet speeds, buy new computer hardware, and purchase or rent a most current new router instead of a refurbished router as offered by Verizon.  The total cost for all these upgrades are too high for our needs.

The new router maintenance charge and refurbished router upgrade offer are unjustifiable based on the facts and reasons we stated above.  We intend to take this matter to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) for help if Verizon does not reconsider this issue which we consider as a price increase.