Re: Forcing me to pay for a new router
nico213
Enthusiast - Level 3

I asked verizon why they are charging me for the router and what I got was"we can because the government allows us to" was what I got from customer service! Now you see the importance of lobbyists passing laws thru govt. officials. My answer was see you after my contract runs out and back to cable even if it a slower connection. Between the local ares sports network which we got charged for because some wanted it but the charge was too much for a few to charging all customers whether they want it or not to surcharges on routers they lost a paying customer for good.

0 Likes
Re: Router Maintenance Charge Unjustifiable
FrankGC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Happychun,

Does the $59.99 purchased router include service or replacement in case of failure?

If it does not, I will stay with the old router inspite of the charge of $2.80.

Frank C

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FrankGC wrote:

Happychun,

Does the $59.99 purchased router include service or replacement in case of failure?

If it does not, I will stay with the old router inspite of the charge of $2.80.

Frank C

Includes a limited time warranty.

How Fios finally lost me too
mhaston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wanted to reply to the "How Fios finally lost me" topic, but I see that has been locked down.

I have a similar complaint here too and will go back to Comcast if Verizon charges me $2.80 (plus taxes) for their decade old equipment.  I'm not upgrading to a certified pre-owned router for $59.99 (plus taxes) either.  I'm keeping my old router that doesn't cost Verizon one cent more to support.  When it breaks I'll turn it in or buy a router, but not before.

Verizon you already suck $270/month out of me.  You're not getting a cent more.

0 Likes
Re: Surcharge on old routers?
Shmooney

After chatting with a Fios rep I doubled my speed and got a new Quantum Gateway for about four dollars a month more. And my rental on the old Actiontech was free. I may make another deal to keep the Actiontech and set it up as an extender, Be nice, and nice things happen back!

0 Likes
Irv61
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called to understand who owns the router, as I never paid Verizon for my existing ActionTec RevE router.

With the "old" router that Verizon wants you to upgrade, Verizon owns the router.  If the router breaks, Verizon will replace it, at their cost.  If you decline the upgrade, and pay the $2.80 per month maintenance fee, and the router breaks, Verizon will replace it, at their cost.  If you move to a new place that doesn't have Verizon FIOS service, Verizon gets the router back.

If you upgrade the router, dependent on which one you purchase, you get a 1 year or 2 year limited warranty.  During that warranty period, if the router breaks, you get a new router for  free from Verizon.  I don't know if the warranty clock resets or not with that new router - probably not. If the router breaks after the warranty has expired, you have to buy a new router from Verizon (or somewhere else). 

Apparently, with new customers, people are paying $10 per month to rent the router.  So I view the $2.80 per month as a new rental fee on the router that I'll pay in case it breaks.  Especially since I'm considering moving soon to a place that has no Verizon FIOS service.

0 Likes
Firebird7478
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's Verizon for you. I am on SSDI and cannot afford the "upgrade" to a new modem so they are charging me a $5 monthly "maintenance fee". To maintain what? I signed a 2 year agreement that had a locked in monthly rate and one year in they tell me I either have to BUY a new modem or pay the fee for having an older one, which works fine. 

By tacking on this maintenance fee, they've violated the terms of our agreement. I SHOULD be able to cite that should I cancel. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately, the fees for hardware are not part of the contract (most providers do it that way).
Contracts typically only cover cost of content.