Re: Swap Actiontec MI424WR Router
pks4
Enthusiast - Level 2

i swap the router for a different one and download speed still goes from 15 mpb at best to 5   anything to fix wireless speed?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Change the wireless channel.  when your speed fluctuates anything running in your home such as microwave, cordless phone etc.

Any other devices connected wirelessly?

0 Likes
wingram

This got off topic real quick but I have the same issue as the original poster, A LOT of time invested in configuration especially for VoIP QOS as that is not documented very well nor do the Verizon techs understand anything in that arena much less general networking and always respond with we don't support QOS.  Really?  Better get w/ the rest of the world if you want to keep customers Verizon!!!

I was actually told by a tech that if my speeds are in the kb's for a 150/150 plan it can only mean I have some malware or a virus on my system.  His claim was that a higher level tech had told him this is a factual rule.  He stuck tight to this claim even after I told him I atached a single, "flashed-to-factory" tablet with a direct ethernet connection directly to the router with no other devices connected and wireless disabled, had the same exact issue as the other PCs.  Yes, a virus or malware *could* be a problem in some circumstances but this guy was clinging to it like it was always the case which is rediculous.  I went on to prove that if what he was saying was true, why would my mobile devices experience this horrible connection speed when *ONLY* connected to the FiOS router and not other networks???  Idiot.

Back to the config file.  I've checked both routers and they are identical in model, version, firmware and both are gen3 I.  The details under System Monitoring > Router Status is identical (except for obvious serial # and MAC of course).

So it appears that this actiontec feature was intentionally hacked by Verizon which really gets under my skin.  I am sure they do this so people don't load corrupt or misconfigured configuration files into the new router and still complain about the same issue they were having.  But this is a very shoddy way to NOT have to provide the proper support where a real qualified technician should be able to identify BEFORE changing out the router if the config file is the issue or not.

My biggest gripe is the techs that work at Verizon that I have dealt with have a very poor understanding of common networking concepts, troubleshooting methods and how routers actually work and I don't agree with Verizon's blatent decision to remove this capability as if they know better then their cutomers whats good for them.

Now I have to go through and screen shot every config page and manually key in everything.  What a PIA especially when I'm absolutely certain the issue is the chewed up fiber strands I can visually see with my eyes in my yard from gophers but the verizon tech still thinks it's the router!!!  Idiot.

POOR MOVE VERIZON.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) I would assume that Verizon has techs trained to handle the config that 90+% of their common customers use. Which is basic Internet access with TV. I wouldn't expect techs to know about more complex network setups.

2) When you ran speed test, what server did you use. Only one that tests your access (which is all Verizon and any other provider can/will guarantee). Run your test (via ethernet) to speedtest.verizon.net. If you get your subscribed speed, then issue is either due to Verizon peering or site access. If you don't, then Verizon is on the hook to correct.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

Couple of comments:

1) I would assume that Verizon has techs trained to handle the config that 90+% of their common customers use. Which is basic Internet access with TV. I wouldn't expect techs to know about more complex network setups.

2) When you ran speed test, what server did you use. Only one that tests your access (which is all Verizon and any other provider can/will guarantee). Run your test (via ethernet) to speedtest.verizon.net. If you get your subscribed speed, then issue is either due to Verizon peering or site access. If you don't, then Verizon is on the hook to correct.

Not sure I agree with the last bit about verizon being on the hook to fix.

Have attached a couple of speedtest results from 2 different machines connected to the same router and same network.  You will notice the upload speed on test 1 is drastically different to machine 2, actually it's roughly 400% percent better than normal.  I think it's a hardware issue with the nic or chipset as I have the same issue with another machine made by same manufacturere but different revison.

Machine 1 speedtest

Machine 2 speedtest

0 Likes