Swapping Actiontec MI424WR's
PaulHD

I just installed another router after one died, and asked the technical support guy that helped me get another one ordered if I could buy a backup router to plug in so I'm not without the Internet while I wait for a replacement router. He said I could.

I've been looking around and have seen that there are various revisions. I currently have a Rev C, but have seen Rev D & Rev E for sale.

I have two questions:

1) Will the other rev's work OK if I buy one of those?

2) Does Verizon match the MAC address of my unit to my account and allow only that MAC address to connect to their service, or can I plug in any Actiontec MI424WR and it will work?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Swapping Actiontec MI424WR's
Hubrisnxs
Legend
the other revisions will work just fine and yes verizon enables strict mac authentication in their head end gateway routers. so the mac address is tied - but if you leave the connection dead (without power) for 4 hours, it will drop it's lease on that ip and mac, and sit there waiting for the new router to connect without a hitch. if you do a hot swap then you will want to download verizon's in home agent @ www.verizon.com/connect and it can break that lease for you too. or call tech support and they can throw a command that breaks the dhcp lease.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not tried it myself but from what I've read on this forum you are not even tied to using an Actiontec router however if you are running MOCA you are kind of limited to getting one that will accept coax unless you ask Verizon to enable your internet for ethernet connection.

Of course if you are using FiOS TV you will lose the guide if you do not connect via MOCA.

This link may be of interest to you

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps this may help you.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

^^

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
the other revisions will work just fine and yes verizon enables strict mac authentication in their head end gateway routers. so the mac address is tied - but if you leave the connection dead (without power) for 4 hours, it will drop it's lease on that ip and mac, and sit there waiting for the new router to connect without a hitch. if you do a hot swap then you will want to download verizon's in home agent @ www.verizon.com/connect and it can break that lease for you too. or call tech support and they can throw a command that breaks the dhcp lease.
0 Likes
PaulHD

I now have two routers, and I'm able to swap back and forth between them in a moments notice due to one thing: I set the MAC address the same for both of them!

Thanks for the tips, everyone. You helped me figure out how to get my backup router able to swap in and function in a couple minutes with no more effort than swapping cables!

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

Just curious, but how do you change a MAC address on a piece of equipment?  I thought it was chiseled in granite somehow.  Or is this something proprietary with Actiontec?

0 Likes
PaulHD

Look under the Advanced menu and there is a selection for changing the MAC address. It's as easy as typing it in.

Keep in mind that when you reset the router via the button in back, it reverts to it's original MAC address.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

Pretty cool tip, Paul.  Smiley Wink Thanks. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can do it with any network device.  Somwhere in the advanced setup you will find the window that allows you to define a specific MAC address to override the hardware manufacturer's defined one.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

Preciate the help, guys. Smiley Happy  Thanks.  Learn something new every day...

0 Likes