Swapping MI424WR (Rev F) with MI424WR (Rev F)
Paul_Valryon
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am experiencing a loss in caller ID display ability with my set top boxes. I am unable to reset the feature using the commonly known methods (Choosing "display off" results in "Connection not found. Try again later". Rebooting, powering off, disconnecting all wires from set top boxes and routers changes nothing. Cutting all power to ONT to reset router changes nothing). FiOS techs have done their thing from their end, rebooting set top boxes and the ONT but that changes nothing. The only thing that works to restore my caller ID display is when FiOS tech "deactivates and then reactivates" the set top boxes one at a time. This problem happens every three weeks or so for about five months now. Finally a manager at FiOS tech service decides that the problem must be that I have a defective router. Sends me a replacement. So now I have my current MI424WR (Rev F), everything works fine. I have extensive setting changes in the router. I have a switch wired to the router and four wireless routers wired to the switch.I have the four wireless routers functioning as one unit to create one large hot spot so that family members can walk about the house with their laptops and iphones and ipads without having to log into each router. Well, I backed up my MI424WR (Rev F) configuration file and disconnected the router. I installed the replacement MI424WR (Rev F), but it does not accept the configuration file from the other MI424WR (Rev F). I searched this forum and found one thread that seemed to say such a transfer cannot be done, But why shouldn't it be capable somehow, someway, for a user to replace one router for the same router model? There must be a way to transfer settings. The settings made on my original MI424WR (Rev F) took me several weeks of trial and error before I was satisfied with them. I am literally going to have to save each and every page with Firefox to ensure that I don't miss a single setting, and then spend a couple of evenings entering all the settings and testing again. Is Verizon really this ridiculous? There must be an easier way.
Re: Swapping MI424WR (Rev F) with MI424WR (Rev F)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The CallerID feature to the Set Top Boxes believe it or not is nothing more than a mere port forwarding case. I don't know the rules to make for it off of the top of my head, but provided it is working in your area that should solve that problem.

As far as the configuration file goes, it is tied to a specific router. Open up the configuration file in a program such as Notepad and search for information that might pertain to the router itself such as the MAC Addresses of the Ethernet Swtiches and Wireless Adapter, and a Router Identification number. When it comes down to the MAC Address, if the file contains them instead of the Bootloader on the router (such as the case with Redboot for DD-WRT for ActionTec MI424WR), you'll pretty much brick the router trying to load it in. The purpose of the Backup/Restore function is there just in case you factory reset the router, or someone else does. It is NOT there unfortunately to copy configs over from one unit to another.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

Open up the configuration file in a program such as Notepad

Can't do that any more.  The file is encrypted.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@Smith6612 wrote:

Open up the configuration file in a program such as Notepad

Can't do that any more.  The file is encrypted.

Thanks for the heads up. I suppose it's for the better now that I remember seeing a thread over at DSLReports of someone bricking their MI424WR for editing the ActionTec to run with an invalid IP address. I suppose it isn't too hard to obtain how the file is being encoded.

0 Likes