Switch ONT to Ethernet
coachDOC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a G1100 Quantum Gateway connect to the ONT via coax.   We use FIOS internet only . . . no TV.   I was told by the Verizon rep that I cannot upgrade internet speed to fast than 100Mbps in this configuration.  The rep further said that a tech visit was necessary to change the ONT from coax to ethernet, and yet I read here that many times this change can be done remotely.

My ONT is i-211-M-K.  Any reason that unit wouldn't work for up to gigabit speeds?  The Verizon rep, via chat, said a tech has to come out "because of how it's wired".  I'm thinking I could just run a cat5 or cat6 cable from the ONT to the router then call them and tell them to turn on the ethernet.

If a tech visit is necessary, then ok.   But it's expensive, so I'd like to be sure.

Appreciate input.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switch ONT to Ethernet
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would go ahead and run the ethernet cable.

Then contact support (you may get more timely support by using twitter @verizonsupport They should be able to let you know if everything is in place for upgrade. And then actually do the migration from coax to ethernet.

From there, you should be able to order the upgrade

View solution in original post

coachDOC
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I found info on that ONT.    Looks like it should support Ethernet at faster than 100Mbps.

AlcatelI-211M-KSFUInterior
Desktop
Exterior
1: MoCA1: 10/100/1G Ethernet

So I think now that I can run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the G1100.  Then call and have ethernet activated.  At that point, I could upgrade my speed or change to a different router.   Anything else to be aware of?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would go ahead and run the ethernet cable.

Then contact support (you may get more timely support by using twitter @verizonsupport They should be able to let you know if everything is in place for upgrade. And then actually do the migration from coax to ethernet.

From there, you should be able to order the upgrade

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes