Switch from Spectrum to Fios using existing coax without ONT install
ken_yong

I am thinking of switching from Spectrum to Fios by utilizing the existing coax cable. Is it even possible this can be done without installing an ONT inside my apartment? My apartment building is wired for Fios but I think the ONT needs to be installed inside the apartment and I don't have an electric outlet close to my front entrance.

I understand there is a speed limit of 100/100 and I only want internet service.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switch from Spectrum to Fios using existing coax without ONT install
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct on Dexman, if G3100 and E3200 are used as MoCA adapters to convert ONT Ethernet to LAN Coax, then LAN Coax to Ethernet LAN on the other end, you will have a highest throughput of gigabit symmetrical, which enables you to order the gigabit speed package.

If you can put the ONT in your apartment, that's the best and the most secure way to get Internet. If you have to use the coax wire, you would need a pair of MoCA Ethernet bridges, one at the ONT outside of your apartment, and one in your apartment. As dexman mentioned, G3100 and E3200 can serve as a pair of MoCA adapters, but that is quite inadvisable because you would need to put a $300 G3100 outside of your apartment with its WiFi 6 disabled for security.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is moving away from installing ONTs outside buildings. A technician can survey the building and make appropriate recommendations.

If a 3100 router and 3200 extender are added, 400/400 speed can be supported via coaxial cable as long as an Ethernet cable is used to connect the router to the ONT

If Gigabit service is ordered, Verizon will waive router rental charges and in some cases rental charges for an extender.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct on Dexman, if G3100 and E3200 are used as MoCA adapters to convert ONT Ethernet to LAN Coax, then LAN Coax to Ethernet LAN on the other end, you will have a highest throughput of gigabit symmetrical, which enables you to order the gigabit speed package.

If you can put the ONT in your apartment, that's the best and the most secure way to get Internet. If you have to use the coax wire, you would need a pair of MoCA Ethernet bridges, one at the ONT outside of your apartment, and one in your apartment. As dexman mentioned, G3100 and E3200 can serve as a pair of MoCA adapters, but that is quite inadvisable because you would need to put a $300 G3100 outside of your apartment with its WiFi 6 disabled for security.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the case of your apartment building, chances are good Verizon has the wiring in the hallways, or in a utility box in the back of the building. They don't install ONTs outdoors anymore (heat and elements causes them to fail), and will put one either in your basement or in your unit, depending on where the Fiber terminates.

The ONTs are about the size of a cable modem, and Verizon will install a Fiber Jack in your unit if the ONT is to live there.