Switching from Coax to Ethernet
Papaauge73

I want to switch from Coax to ethernet so I could use google wifi. The problem I am running into is that the ONT is located outside and it is going to be very difficult to run a new ethernet cable from the outside into the house where the current router is located. I noticed there are 3 cables in the ONT that come into the house (One Coax and two ethernet cables). Inside the ONT box, the blue ethernet cable has two wires connecting to a phoneline terminal (blue and blue/white strip) and the same blue cable has two wires connecting to another terminal (brown and brown/white strip) inside the box. See attached photos. Also within the box is the green ethernet cable that connects to another terminal see attached photos.

Now, inside the house the blue ethernet cable wires blue and blue/white strip connects to a phone terminal and the brown and brown/white strip connects to the Battery Backup. See attached photos. However, the green cable connects directly to the battery backup. 

I suspect the blue ethernet cable is a phoneline but since I do not have a phone service can I disconnect the blue ethernet cable and use it as my new ethernet cable for my coax switch? Also, I think the green ethernet cable provides power to the ONT so that is untouchable.  I know this is confusing but I really need help. 

Thanks in advance!

imageInside the houseimageOutside ONTimageInside

0 Likes
Re: Switching from Coax to Ethernet
jonjones1
Legend

This is not as difficult as it looks.

First Verizon will have to switch you from coaxial to ethernet. after that is done the installer will run a good length of cat5e ethernet from your ONT to the place the verizon router is situated. Verizon will handle all of this. No need for you to worry about it. 

If you are just swapping out to ethernet and not gettiing a speed upgrade then fios may charge you for a premise visit. However if they do come out to switch you over you will know in advance of any charges.

Don't mess with any cabling in the ONT it is not your property and it belongs to Verizon. They will charge you for any damages to their equiptment.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Re: Switching from Coax to Ethernet
Papaauge73

Got it. I thought I could use the redundant cat 5e cable instead go through the painful process of getting a new cable installed. Thanks jonjones. I appreciate your quick response. 

0 Likes