Switching from time warner road runner to FiOS
RitaY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My elderly parents (800 miles away from me) just switched from road runner to FiOS.  Internet connection worked (hard cable) on time warner, but does not recognize internet connection via FiOS.  Is there a setting from the prior road runner hook-up that needs to be changed?  The installer didn't know how to deal with this.

Re: Switching from time warner road runner to FiOS
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

What is it exactly that doesn't recognize the connection? A computer, or the router, or...?

RitaY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure, but I'm thinking that it's a computer setting.  The installer hooked up one of Verizon's laptops and the connection worked.  However, it didn't connect on my Dad's desktop, even though it had been working on roadrunner immediately before the change in networks.  Is there software that accompanies the TiOS installation?

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

more than likely, your dads computer just has a static IP address assigned that is not the same network as the Verizon router. Simple fix. Do you know if your dad uses XP, Vista, Or Windows 7?

RitaY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

He has XP.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Go to portforward.com -> Other Guides -> Configuring a Static IP Address -> Windows XP

#2 Please tell them to check if their computer is setup to use a Static IP.

#3 If so:

a) Have them "record" what the current settings are.

Note by record: write down AND OR take a screen shot. Points to http://take-a-screenshot.org/

b) Tell them to change to Obtain an IP address automatically and to Obtain DNS Server address automatically

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@RitaY wrote:

He has XP.

Ok, then click start and go to the control panel. If you are in classic view, you will click on "network connections". The right click your "local area connection" icon and click properties.  Highlight the "internet protocol TCP/IP" in the window and click the properties button. In the next window make sure that the "obtain an IP address automatically" is selected and then close the window. That should be it.

RitaY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my Dad to get into control panel, network connections.  There are two connections listed:

- 1394 - status is TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. He checked and both obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically are checked. 

- local area connection 3 - unplugged (even though the cable is plugged in and it worked on a different laptop).

For the 1394, the details panel shows:

- LAN or High-Speed Internet

- Connected, Firewalled

- 1394 net adaptor

(no IP address or anything else)

The situation is different for the local area connection 3.  Under properties, it indicates:

- client server to netware (I don't have that on my computer, so I'm not clear what that's all about)

- .file and print sharing

- QoS packet scheduler

However, there is no Internet protocol (TCP/IP).  When he clicked on install, the only option it gave under protocol was network monitor driver.

Now I'm lost.  I don't know how to get the TCP/IP protocol linked to the Local Area Connection 3 if it can't be installed or even if that's the problem..

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to re-install TCP/IP from OS disk, or other methods depending on your situation. check out this MS support page

Determine/Repair TCP/IP on Windows

DUTCHESS12

I CHANGES FRON ROADRUNNER TO VERIZON IS THE COMPUMTER TO SUE STATIC IP  RECORD WHAT MY CURRENT SETTING ARE OBTAINR AN IP AUTO AND OBTAIN MY DNS SERVER ADD AUTO

0 Likes