Switch Account

Switching from time warner road runner to FiOS

Switching from time warner road runner to FiOS

Highlighted
Copper Contributor RitaY
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 10
(3,929 Views)

My elderly parents (800 miles away from me) just switched from road runner to FiOS.  Internet connection worked (hard cable) on time warner, but does not recognize internet connection via FiOS.  Is there a setting from the prior road runner hook-up that needs to be changed?  The installer didn't know how to deal with this.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 2 of 10
(3,928 Views)

What is it exactly that doesn't recognize the connection? A computer, or the router, or...?

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."
Highlighted
Copper Contributor RitaY
Copper Contributor
Message 3 of 10
(3,924 Views)

Not sure, but I'm thinking that it's a computer setting.  The installer hooked up one of Verizon's laptops and the connection worked.  However, it didn't connect on my Dad's desktop, even though it had been working on roadrunner immediately before the change in networks.  Is there software that accompanies the TiOS installation?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Message 4 of 10
(3,921 Views)

more than likely, your dads computer just has a static IP address assigned that is not the same network as the Verizon router. Simple fix. Do you know if your dad uses XP, Vista, Or Windows 7?

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor RitaY
Copper Contributor
Message 5 of 10
(3,917 Views)

He has XP.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 6 of 10
(3,914 Views)

Ok.

#1 Go to portforward.com -> Other Guides -> Configuring a Static IP Address -> Windows XP

#2 Please tell them to check if their computer is setup to use a Static IP.

#3 If so:

a) Have them "record" what the current settings are.

Note by record: write down AND OR take a screen shot. Points to http://take-a-screenshot.org/

b) Tell them to change to Obtain an IP address automatically and to Obtain DNS Server address automatically

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Message 7 of 10
(3,911 Views)

@RitaY wrote:

He has XP.

Ok, then click start and go to the control panel. If you are in classic view, you will click on "network connections". The right click your "local area connection" icon and click properties.  Highlight the "internet protocol TCP/IP" in the window and click the properties button. In the next window make sure that the "obtain an IP address automatically" is selected and then close the window. That should be it.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor RitaY
Copper Contributor
Message 8 of 10
(3,896 Views)

I got my Dad to get into control panel, network connections.  There are two connections listed:

- 1394 - status is TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. He checked and both obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically are checked. 

- local area connection 3 - unplugged (even though the cable is plugged in and it worked on a different laptop).

For the 1394, the details panel shows:

- LAN or High-Speed Internet

- Connected, Firewalled

- 1394 net adaptor

(no IP address or anything else)

The situation is different for the local area connection 3.  Under properties, it indicates:

- client server to netware (I don't have that on my computer, so I'm not clear what that's all about)

- .file and print sharing

- QoS packet scheduler

However, there is no Internet protocol (TCP/IP).  When he clicked on install, the only option it gave under protocol was network monitor driver.

Now I'm lost.  I don't know how to get the TCP/IP protocol linked to the Local Area Connection 3 if it can't be installed or even if that's the problem..

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 9 of 10
(3,860 Views)

You should be able to re-install TCP/IP from OS disk, or other methods depending on your situation. check out this MS support page

Determine/Repair TCP/IP on Windows

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor DUTCHESS1
Contributor
Message 10 of 10
(2,392 Views)

I CHANGES FRON ROADRUNNER TO VERIZON IS THE COMPUMTER TO SUE STATIC IP  RECORD WHAT MY CURRENT SETTING ARE OBTAINR AN IP AUTO AND OBTAIN MY DNS SERVER ADD AUTO

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.