Synology+Tivo vs Actiontec - can I drop Actiontec yet?
argiesus
Enthusiast - Level 1

My synology NAS does't like Verizons Actiontec Rev.F router (not a true modem).  

From all that I've read here - you are free to get your own modem UNLESS you have Fios TV.  In which case you are stuck with Actiontec. I use TIVO for the TV Guide so does this still mean I'm stuck with Actiontec?

• Actiontec is 10/100 - I need Gigabit
  • Actiontec is wonkyport forwarding - synology needs solid port forwarding
  • Actiontec wireless - slow; I use the Time Capsule wireless (in bridge mode)

FYI (little rant) - I turned to TIVO b/c the Fios remote was all about the up-sell; PPV, ect. The whole layout was not about enjoying what you had, but getting you to buy more. Verizon charges me $7 to use Tivo. Terrible strategy Verizon 😞 I see what you did there and I don't like it at all.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Synology+Tivo vs Actiontec - can I drop Actiontec yet?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If you are not using VZ STBs, then you don't need the Actiontec.

You need to have VZ switch the provisioning of your ONT from coax to cat5.

Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If you are not using VZ STBs, then you don't need the Actiontec.

You need to have VZ switch the provisioning of your ONT from coax to cat5.

Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

logan81
Contributor - Level 3
If you do have verizon set top boxes as well as Tivo you could always put the verizon router in lan with whatever other router you are using. as long as the verizon router can assign IP addresses to Verizon set top boxes then you are good that way. Otherwise like somebody already said you do not need the actiontec.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@logan8 wrote:
If you do have verizon set top boxes as well as Tivo you could always put the verizon router in lan with whatever other router you are using. as long as the verizon router can assign IP addresses to Verizon set top boxes then you are good that way. Otherwise like somebody already said you do not need the actiontec.

That's quite an interesting idea.

I think what you are you suggesting having the ont reprovisioned for ethernet rather than coax and connecting my own router.  Then disabling the broadband moca interface and connecting the coax port of the verizon router to the premise coax network and bridging the verizon router via a lan to lan connection with my gateway router.

I believe that should work though I'm guessing I'd have to forward the fios service ports at the gateway router to the verizon router to handle guide and support interface.  I see 3 different fios service pf rules on the verizon router.  I'm guessing that port 4567 is probably the support port as it is forwarding to local addr 127.0.0.1  There then isa range of ports for the STBs atarting at port 63145 incremented by 1 for each stb. Then there is a range of ports for the STB's starting at port 35000 incremented by one for each stb.

Would be nice if Verizon cleaned up their old entries in the router port forwarding list as I now have 10 duplicate entries for every stb in the 3500 series and the action column has been disable for all the fios service entries.

Has anybody ever tried thsi and if so does it work.  I see the verizon router being a bit of a bottleneck on my home network because of the way it's set up and changing it as above I believe would drastically improve my performance.

argiesus
Enthusiast - Level 1

Called VZ to switch me from Coax to Cat5, and now I am reading you can do it yourself. Hmm..  I dont use a 2nd tv, or have use a Set Top Box from verizon, but thanks for those tips anyway.

• Anyone have a good recomendation on a Gigbit router with lots of ports?

I could update my Apple TimeCapsule hardware, but I'm open to anything recomended.

Thanks for great information everyone.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@argiesus wrote:

Called VZ to switch me from Coax to Cat5, and now I am reading you can do it yourself.

You can run the cat5 cable from the ONT to the router yourself.  If you have VZ dispatch a tech for that, they will charge you for a truck roll.

You can NOT change the WAN provisioning on the ONT from coax to cat5 yourself.  If you read otherwise, that is incorrect.

VZ can do this remotely and there is no charge to do so.

0 Likes