TP-Link Archer C9 Slow Upload speeds
lrossi1

I currently have the fios 50/50 plan. The ONT is located outside the house and it's directly connected, via ethernet, to the wan port of my router TP-link archer C9.

After a lot of time on the phone, the verizon installer finaly got the ONT to recognize my router so everything appeared to be fine. That was until itried to work remotely from home and it became unbearable.

I decided to go speedtest site and turns out that i was getting more than 50mbps downloads but less than 2mbps uploads.

I called verizon and they advised me to bypass the router and connect the PC directly to the ONT just to confirm that the problem was not the service. Well, with the PC connected directly to the ONT i was getting almost 40mbps uploads speeds. That's when the verizon support ended because the problem was obviously my router according to them.

Anyways, back then i had the google DNS servers setup in my router. I disabled those in order for the router to use the ONT as the DNS server. Well, for some reason that solved the problem and i had full upload and download speeds.

Sadly, the problem appeared again and i don't know if there is a particular setting i should check in my router in order to fix this problem. Just as before, i'm getting more than 50 mbps downloads but less than 2 mbps uploads if i'm connected to my router but if i connect my pc directly to the ONT i get the full upload/download speeds.

Any pointers on  which settings should i check in my router in order to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for the help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TP-Link Archer C9 Slow Upload speeds
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@charliebradbury wrote:

Verizon's speed test doesn't even support Mac OS, even though other tests on the internet do. Fantastic. 

Which speedtest site are you using? This one: https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ works fine on my device (Linux and Mac).

@lrossi Have you tried upgrading the router's firmware? There was a new image released recently on August 10th, worth a try upgrading if you haven't! 

http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-C9.html#Firmware

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Best course of action is to set the router back to manufacturer setting.

you just login to your router with the original user login name, and password.

after it is set back to factory you can change the router password to what you wish.

now if you don't want to do that, go into your routers QOS (Quality of Service) and set it to off.

restart the router and then wait for it to boot up. Then try the speedtest again.

see if that fixes your issue. 

Good Luck

0 Likes
lrossi1

Thank you for replying to my post. I have already reset the router to factory default and rebooted the router but nothing changed. I tried to disable the QOS but i couldn't find it in this router (i think the newest firmware got rid of it?).

Since my pc, when directly wired to the ONT, is capable of achieving full up/down speeds I tried to clone its MAC address, deleted the custom DNS server information under the DHCP settings and then rebooted the router. Odly enough that worked and now i have full up/down speeds.

I honestly don't understand why this worked (or if verizon did something on their end and this was just a coincidence) but in the meantime i'm a happy customer again.

0 Likes
charliebradbury

It's not verizon's fault, it's TP link's fault. I connected directly to Verizon's ONT and get full speeds up + down, but as soon as I plug into TP my upload is cut in thirds. Verizon's speed test doesn't even support Mac OS, even though other tests on the internet do. Fantastic. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@charliebradbury wrote:

Verizon's speed test doesn't even support Mac OS, even though other tests on the internet do. Fantastic. 

Which speedtest site are you using? This one: https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ works fine on my device (Linux and Mac).

@lrossi Have you tried upgrading the router's firmware? There was a new image released recently on August 10th, worth a try upgrading if you haven't! 

http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-C9.html#Firmware