TV and second modem/router in same room
mhaston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a wireless network in my home that's pretty good .... however my son and I play PS3 a lot.  His room is too far for me to run wire right now.  It's also a little weaker signal.  I have his PS2 running wireless as well as his desktop.

The FIOS service comes into his room.  He currently has an HD box in there.  I would like to run another modem in his room to hard wire his internet and keep the tv service.

From reading the forums it looks like I need a MoCa box and additional Verizon router.  Is that true that I need both?  What's the setup like with that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV and second modem/router in same room
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need only to buy one MoCA bridge (ActionTec HME2200/ECB22000).  About $80 on Amazon or similar sites.

Install a splitter in the room on the existing connection and attach the cable box to one side of the splitter and the bridge to the other.   The bridge will automatically pair with your existing Verizon ActionTec router over the coax and give you an ethernet connection in that location.   No configuration or anything -- just plug and play.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need only to buy one MoCA bridge (ActionTec HME2200/ECB22000).  About $80 on Amazon or similar sites.

Install a splitter in the room on the existing connection and attach the cable box to one side of the splitter and the bridge to the other.   The bridge will automatically pair with your existing Verizon ActionTec router over the coax and give you an ethernet connection in that location.   No configuration or anything -- just plug and play.

0 Likes
mhaston
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, that's excellent.  Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Additional questions:

1. It looks like a TV in and out on the back of the MoCA bridge.  Can't I us the tv out instead of splitter?  There's probably a good reason why not.

2.  I would like to run a PS3 and PC off the MoCA bridge.  It appears to have one eithernet port.  Do I need to attach a router, hub or switch to this so that I have more ports available?  From what I'm reading on the differences between a router vs. hub/switch  .... it appears I need a switch?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can not use the TV out on the MoCA bridge.   It does not pass thru the MoCA frequencies, just the TV frequencies.  Each STB has they equivalent of a MoCA bridge inside it to allow the STB to get guide data as well as do multi-room DVR, etc. across the coax.  In fact, the bridge should ship with a terminator on the TV out connector (a small metal screw on with a little nib on it) which if it's not in place will cause you grief.

To use multiple ethernet devices at the same location, just buy a small ethernet "switch".  A standard fast ethernet 10/100 switch will do.  You can often find a small 5-port variety one online for under $15.  For example, searching on Amazon for "5-port switch" turns up several -- any of which would be acceptable for what you want to do.

A splitter, if you need one, can be obtained at just about any big box or home improvement store or online for a buck or two.  Just make sure you get one rated for "digital" TV (passes frequencies about 1000Mhz) -- most do nowadays, but some really cheap ones are still from the old analog days and top out at 900Mhz or so.  Don't forget to pickup an additional short piece or two of coax as well while you're at it if you don't have any laying around.

Someone will, I'm sure, chime in that you could go on eBay and buy a second router and reconfigure it to operate like a bridge -- and since the router has 4 ports on it as well, you wouldn't need a seperate switch.   This is all true -- but the key here is the word "configure".   If you like monkeying around and feel comfortable making your away around networking technology and instructions, then there's nothing wrong with that approach.   If you'd rather just plug it in and and have it work -- then the bridge and switch are the way to go -- zero configuration, plug and play.  I use the exact bridge and switch setup personally in my home and have for a couple years without issue.

0 Likes
mhaston
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again.  I'll go with the switch.  I like plug and play!!

larsont2
Enthusiast - Level 2

All very helpful.  Is is possible to connect another wireless router to the MOCA so that the wireless range is extended into the second room, not just wired access?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, but as most wireless access points are also routers, you would want to configure the access point to disable the DHCP server, assign it a static IP address not in use on the network already, and then connect it to the MoCA bridge via a LAN port and not the WAN port on the router (so that the wireless remains on the same network as your other wireless access point).

BLDShamrock

I am looking to add a new wireless router to my existing FIOS router/modem and can't seem to figure out what I am doing. Not that tech savy but supposedly this is relatively easy. I have purchased a Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit router in the hopes that it will strengthen my wifi signal throughout my home. I had previously installed a repeater (maybe not proper term) and it helps but not quite enough. We have a steel beam in the basement ceiling and the router is there so I believe that's part of the problem. Any input ?

0 Likes