Tcpoptimizer tool from speedguide.net optimal settings for gigabit connection?
Helix1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am paying for the gigabit speed internet connection with Verizon. I have the Verizon router, but only getting 800/810 when running the test from Verizon's speed test site. I want to get at least 900 for the download speed. I tried to run the tcp optimizer tool from Verizon but nothing happens. It's not opening. Instead, I want to use the tcpoptimizer tool from speedguide.net? What settings do I need for that tool to get the full speed from the gigabit connection? Thanks. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tcpoptimizer tool from speedguide.net optimal settings for gigabit connection?
Helix1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not running any antivirus other than windows defender. So, I don't think that is causing it. 

I ended up calling back tech support, and the rep rebuilt my connection and now the  speed is 920/815 on verizon's speed test site.

Also, the rep said not to rely on other speed test sites like speedtest.net or speakeasy.net as they don't support gigabit connections and will give you much lower speeds.

View solution in original post

Re: Tcpoptimizer tool from speedguide.net optimal settings for gigabit connection?
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon touts 940/880 up to speeds. If you contacted verizon they should be able to see what your provisioned for and possibly fix it. However

you can have gigabyte speed but your devices may not be able to get them. There is no real optimizers it is normally some program to automatically adjust your computers registry entries or system settings. They can do more harm than good in certain cases.

if you want to get the programs instructions that would be the way to go.

Helix1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried a speed test on speedtest.net and speakeasy.net and they actually give me a much lower download speed of 450 to 500 while the upload speed for both sites are at full speed (840). Why am I receiving such low download speeds on these other sites while I'm receiving higher download speeds on verizon's speed test site? 

Also, I looked at the Tcp Optimizer documentation of speedguide.net and it is very difficult to follow. And I don't know how applicable it is to a gigabit connection. I'd appreciate it if someone here could give me the optimal settings in the optimizer that I should use for my gigabit connection. Thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

As i said the tcp optimizers are junk. And no soeed test site other than verizons official speedtest site is accepted as service performance measure. And only via a ethernet connection from your desktop or laptop to the verizons lan port. Not wifi under any circumstances.

additionally the device speed test to or from your device to the Quantum Gateway Router is not going to show 940/880 even with a top of the line computer. Iphone or ipad etc. 

like i said contact verizon support and they will tell you what speeds you are receiving up/down and can provision if need be.

Helix1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called verizon tech support and they told me that they are getting full speed 940/880 on their end. so i am only getting the lower speeds from the router to my computer. I am using Verizon's gigabit router and a brand new cat-6 ethernet cable. so im thinking it is probably my computer that is giving the lower download speed. What do you mean "provision" by verizon? What will they do and will it increase my device download speed above 840? Thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Helix wrote:

I called verizon tech support and they told me that they are getting full speed 940/880 on their end. so i am only getting the lower speeds from the router to my computer. I am using Verizon's gigabit router and a brand new cat-6 ethernet cable. so im thinking it is probably my computer that is giving the lower download speed. What do you mean "provision" by verizon? What will they do and will it increase my device download speed above 840? Thanks.

No.

provisioning is the up to speeds paid for. If verizon states you are provisioned correctly at 940/880 that is all they can do.

as i said previously the devices connected to the Quantum Gateway Router will not get 940/880 so its your devices that are not up to date. The cat6 is your ethernet cabling but the speeds of your connected devices is a whole different matter.

and remember wifi will be even worse. 

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Helix - it might be your anti-virus.

On my machine, Avast AV slows my speeds very close to your sample.  When I disable its shields for 10 minutes and re-run the test, my speed is higher.

Try it.

0 Likes
Helix1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not running any antivirus other than windows defender. So, I don't think that is causing it. 

I ended up calling back tech support, and the rep rebuilt my connection and now the  speed is 920/815 on verizon's speed test site.

Also, the rep said not to rely on other speed test sites like speedtest.net or speakeasy.net as they don't support gigabit connections and will give you much lower speeds.