Technical Question
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is it possible to hook up a secondary, non-G1100 router to the ONT via Ethernet WAN, then run another Ethernet cable from that router to a FiOS Network adapter (FNA) to convert the Gig Ethernet speed to Bonded MOCA 2.0, then run an coaxial cable from that FNA downstairs to a FiOS Network Extender, which is also ran at bonded MOCA 2.0 and have it fully extend the gig speed range without needing a Fios branded G1100 Router? (For example I’m using a Netgear Nighthawk).

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Technical Question
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No they are not G1100 specific. They will work with the Netgear.

As far as upgrading ONTs to 2.0 who knows. It would certainly make things easier. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not secondary as in I’ll be even using the g1100, I wish to bypass it and not need it at all...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use your own router for FiOS internet.

Before you disconnect FiOS router, do a release on IP.

Otherwise, you might have to wait two hours for new router to work.

Moca network adapters have speed limits of 400-500m. Not sure what speed you would expect.

I assume you have existing coax run? If going to run it, why not use cat5?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can. Ont to netgear wan will work. But can you run ethernet directly from netgear lan to FNE. I think you have to have 2 FNA'S. For example router lan will go to First FNA then coax in between the FNA's then the ethernet from second FNA will go to the FNE. The FNE will not get the gig over the coax port.

But if you can run ethernet from lan port of router directly to FNE's ethernet port then it will get the gig. 

0 Likes
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey CRobGauth, I know I can use my own Router and I also know that the FNE is soft-capped at 400mbps due to the router only being able to use MOCA 2.0 connectivity over coax, what I am referring to is feeding a Fios Network Adapter, which is a newer piece of tech, doesn't have wifi in it and can be fed via ethernet to upconvert the ethernet to moca bonded 2.0 which can run speeds of 1Gbps, will the FNA work with a non-G1100 router and will the FNE also work with said non-G1100 router if ran off the bonded 2.0 moca network through the direct point A-point B coax connection from FNA-FNE

0 Likes
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

Edg1, you can get full gig over an FNE via coax if both ends are bonded 2.0, it just needs to have it on both ends, I just want to know if FNEs and FNAs are fios G1100 gateway specific of if you can run them with any type of gig-capable router.

0 Likes
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, Why havent Verizon FiOS onts upgraded from MOCA 1.0 to at least 2.0 yet? It's a pain having to run new ethernet in every single new install's house to get anything over 100mbps.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No they are not G1100 specific. They will work with the Netgear.

As far as upgrading ONTs to 2.0 who knows. It would certainly make things easier. 

0 Likes
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

last I heard there were looking to make BHR integrated ONTS, which is why we are supposed to put the ont inside homes, for whenever that upgrade actually sticks. They did a soft rollout of wireless STBs a few years ago which was shelved due to inconsistency, I also would love to see Remotes with some variant of RF capability, but yanno, can't have it all, ey? 

0 Likes
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

And upgrading the ONT to 2.0 would only work up to the 400mbps standard not gig, if gig is to be installed via a coaxial network they would need to be upgraded to either bonded 2.0 or 2.5, albeit 2.5 would be overkill because I doubt 2.5gbps speeds are coming out that soon or be even necessary in non-business type situations.

0 Likes