Switch Account

Telephone cable with Fios

Telephone cable with Fios

Contributor Smoothy9
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-21-2017
Message 1 of 2



I have fios, but in my room the Wi-Fi won't reach me because of the house structure. In my room I have a phone cable, but my research tells me that fios requires Ethernet or MoCa. It also tells me that fios will not work with a modem. So if I have a phone jack, and it can't plug into fios, and I can't use a modem to convert it into an Ethernet cord, what do I do? 


Since I have fios, do I HAVE to use a fios router? I have a netgear router. If I buy a modem and use that with netgear, will it project a Wi-Fi signal? 

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 4,833
Registered: ‎10-18-2016
Message 2 of 2

If you use your own router with wifi turned on it should function.

you could get a Verizon network extender which is plug and play and get that signal to other hard to reach areas of your home.


i use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 high end router which I can obtain a connection on from two houses away.


you cannot use any modems.


Good Luck

How-To Videos
The following videos were produced by users like you!
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.