Terrible VPN problems with Actiontec router
Koonstheman1

I'm having increasing difficulty sustaining a VPN connection (Cisco) to my job. I used to go down maybe once or twice in a work day, but it is getting increasingly bad. Today, I crashed maybe ten times. I know of no one else in my company who has this problem with any frequency. How can I test this or get it improved? I have a broadband connection and notice no problems with my wireless otherwise.

Thanks

John

0 Likes
Re: Terrible VPN problems with Actiontec router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What ActionTec router are you currently using?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're using WiFi, tried running on a wired connection.  That will tell you if the problem is with WiFi or something else.

I run a Cisco Open Connect VPN over my FiOS connection for many hours (sometimes days) without problems.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Pattonator
Enthusiast - Level 2

It has nothing to do with your VPN.  The Actiontec routers are the problem.  Verizon will not provide you with a solution so don't even bother.  They may try stuff at your home such as replace your ONT and check your signal but 99% of the times is that the Actiontec routers have known problems.  When I say known just google it as most of the Verizon tech support and field techs are not aware of the problem.

The best solution is to buy a new router.  This is no problem if you have internet only but if you have TV through Verizon you do need to keep your Actiontec router to run the MoCA connections.  Verizon will not really instruct you on how to fix this but I changed out my modem today and posted it here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Solution-to-router-reset-issue-with-Actiontec-routers/td-...

In that post you will see a link to a site that gives a step-by-step installation guide.  This way your internet will go through a router that isn't the worse piece of crap in the universe and it shouldn't go down every hour like mine was doing.  I also work from home and it is ridiculous when your internet goes out constantly and the router takes 5-10 minutes to reset itself.

I hope that this helps.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

While it might be your router causing problems  there isn't necessarily anything wrong with the Actiontec that would cause your VPN to drop. It doesn't have firewall  settings to allow VPN pass through, but thi doesn't caue me any problems.

I run two routers double NATed behind my Actiontec and they both run VPN 24/7.   One connects domestically and the other to Europe.   On the one that I am connected to by Ethernet I get 70/30 speeds running OpenVPN to a server 275 miles distant.

My Actiontec is solid and has been connected for 1,600+ hours without  needing a reboot.

Before giving up on it I would see if it is possible to tweak some of the settings on your VPN such as ports, encryption, UDP/TCP.   Ask your IT department for their recommendations as the most likely cause of your problems is the VPN client and server software they are using.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

While it might be your router causing problems  there isn't necessarily anything wrong with the Actiontec that would cause your VPN to drop. It doesn't have firewall  settings to allow VPN pass through, but thi doesn't caue me any problems.

I run two routers double NATed behind my Actiontec and they both run VPN 24/7.   One connects domestically and the other to Europe.   On the one that I am connected to by Ethernet I get 70/30 speeds running OpenVPN to a server 275 miles distant.

My Actiontec is solid and has been connected for 1,600+ hours without  needing a reboot.

Before giving up on it I would see if it is possible to tweak some of the settings on your VPN such as ports, encryption, UDP/TCP.   Ask your IT department for their recommendations as the most likely cause of your problems is the VPN client and server software they are using.

I also run double NATed routers behind the verizon router with VPN connections using Cisco AnyConnect with no problems.

Today received a new Actiontec rev I router to replace my aged Westell.  Went to the westell and dropped the dhcp lease then immediately powered it off.  Swapped all the wan and lan cables from the Westell to the Actiontec and powered it up.

When the internet came up logged on and changed the admin password and wireless security then returned to my desk.

Was very surprised to find that when I went to the machine running the vpn connection it immediately said re-establishing vpn connection which it then did without requesting security credentials or anything.  Not actually sure how it could do that as the wan ip address had changed with the new wouter.

0 Likes
Pattonator
Enthusiast - Level 2

Consider yourself lucky if you have a good Actiontec router.  I went through 6 in one year and they all reboot themselves every few hours.  This is a problem that millions of Verizon customers have.  My point was that VPN will drop and not connect if your router isn't connected to the internet.  I hooked up an ASUS router and my internet is fixed.  If you ask Verizon they will tell you that there is incompatibility between the Actiontec routers and the CISCO STB's although I've even seen people with other STB's as well as people without FIOS TV that have been having the reset issue.  If the router is a problem for millions you would think that Verizon would actually be intelligent enough to bring in a new router company.

0 Likes
MrOniha
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actiontec routers are problematic.  I have one with Verizon FIOS service and for several months, I thought there was a problem with the VPN configuration on my laptop.  It's around the holiday season, so I didn't bother to address until recently.  I connected my laptop to a different router/ISP and was able to connect to my VPN without issue.  So I went back to my Actiontec and experienced the same lack of VPN connectivity ... 

I double checked all the port settings on the Actiontec's FW and everything was fine.  L2TP, PPTP, IKE, etc, etc, etc.  I even went as far as to put my host in the DMZ and still no connectivity.  I called Verizon and they suggested I pay for premium technical support, even though I explained that clearly the problem was not with my equipment.  After speaking with 5 different representatives, no help ... so I went back to the drawing board.

As one (or more) person(s) have previously suggested on this forum, you should absolutely try and connect your computer to your Actiontec router via a wired connection!!!  I did so and was able to establish a connection to my work VPN!  I disconnected and once again tried the wireless to no avail ...

Since I already have my own personal router, I double natted from the Actiontec and created a secondary wireless network in my house with my personal router ... presto, wireless connectivity and VPN works like a charm.

With multiple customers complaining about the quality of their hardware, you'd think Verizon would do something about this equipment.  At the very least, maybe they should train the Tier I staff to recognize this potential problem and provide some workarounds.