Terrible lag when playing online games (Final Fantasy 14)
FrankGrimey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in the NYC area and regularly I have terrible lag issues. I play mostly Final Fantasy 14: ARR and especially after working hours (but not exclusive to) the game is **bleep** near unplayable. In dungeons, I'm often 10-15 seconds behind what is happening in real time and it's frustrating. My speed tests from various services and servers indicate I'm getting  what I should be which is around 75/75, but latency is absolutely terrible. Almost never when I ask people in my party if they're experiencing the same does anyone indicate that they are so i'm highly inclined to believe it's issues with Verizon's service.

I've gone as far as testing during the time I'm having issues by playing through my T-mobile 4G Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone and the game is seamless!!! And the mobile 4G signal sucks in my home!!! 

I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing the same?

As it stands, Optimum isn't capable of the fiberoptic speeds, but it would be worth it to have a connection that doesn't suck. And as soon as I'm out of this awful contract that these greedy **bleep** lock you into, I'm considering going back to cable and it's "inferior" DOCSIS 3.

Re: Terrible lag when playing online games (Final Fantasy 14)
Arkeband
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having these issues.  Customer service keeps changing their story ("It's Square Enix's server, despite the traceroutes you gave us showing it's an intermediate node we're sending traffic through!"  "It's Alter.net!"  "It's Level 3's servers, not ours!"  "Have you tried using a VPN?")

I'm sorry Verizon but if you're telling your customers to use a VPN you have failed us.  Make figuring out this issue a priority or we will be looking elsewhere.  Gamers don't need fiber optic speed to be competitive, we just need a reliable connection.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Have you given your traceroutes to either the game server techs or their forums, or to the vz techs? I'm not a big fan of people doing traceroutes because they aren't easy to decipher even by techs but if you have them we could look at them.
0 Likes
Technopoptart
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am still right up there with you too Frank!

Like clock work between 9-11PM then magically fizzles. Again I understand congestions...but why only for one specific ISP?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That's not actually an issue that affects just verizon customers.  A few seconds on Google can tell you that.  Google "final fantasy 14 lag"

While you'll find this isn't related to just verizon, you'll also find a lot of working fixes for a lot of your issues.  

People all over the world play that game and others have had your problem and figured out how to fix it and have shared that info so that you don't have to go through the pain that they did.  

0 Likes
FrankGrimey
Enthusiast - Level 2

When on the phone with VZ tech, I offered to provide traceroutes but they insisted I don't. Instead, they wanted a technician from Square to provide them with some particular information (I don't recall what). I've played that game and it's endless and frustrating. I've resorted to using my phones WiFi during hours VZ is incapable of providing low enough latency.

Also, Hubrisnxs, can you send some of those links with working solutions? I have VPN service with Private Internet Access and that has failed to do the trick though it did resolve slow loading and low quality Netflix issues months ago. Driver updates and all that other basic stuff that's not really the issue, I've done. The ONLY thing VZ suggested which I haven't tried was using the VZ provided router. The low-end ActionTec. My Asus AC66-R has features not supported by the ActionTec and performance gains and that's pretty much where I left the call with the VZ tech. Said I'd try using their router but I never did. Even if it solved the problem, they'd say then everything is fine and using your own device, you're on your own. And then I'd be without the features I need the Asus for. So I'm not even entertaining that idea. Not even out of curiosity.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
If the Verizon router end up working and the asus doesn't have a firmware update then how can verizon fix the asus (IF it's the problem)
0 Likes