The older Verizon Speed Test does not run with Java 7.7
prisaz
Legend

The older of Verizon Speed Test does not run with Java 7.7, and is looking for the older Version (Very Old version). The latest Java update removes these older versions of Java.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: The older Verizon Speed Test does not run with Java 7.7 and Security.
prisaz
Legend

Windows 7 Firewall Control was blocking the latest version of Java. Strange that previous minor updates of 6 did not have that issue in the firewall. Only the Major to 7. After I turned off the software firewall, and uninstalled Java and reinstalled Java the tool worked. Just as I enabled the firewall it stopped. So I added the outbound exception and all is better.

But I still get the error asking to use the newer version with IE9.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: The older Verizon Speed Test does not run with Java 7.7
tns
Master - Level 2

It runs with 7.7 but does ask to run with an older version.  Obviously needs to be corrected,

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tns wrote:

It runs with 7.7 but does ask to run with an older version.  Obviously needs to be corrected,

It will not run with 1.7.7 unless the older version 6 is on the machine, and you tell it to allow it to run with the older Java 6 Version. Issue I ran into was the 1.7.7 installed on Windows 7 64 removed the older verions, and then the test would not run.  Security flaws on older versions of Java.There is a link on the Java site that allows you to remove the older versions of Java. It looks like this ran with the latest 1.7.7 update. Which broke the older version of the Verizon speed test for Windows 7 64, because it removes the version 6. It did in my case.

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

"

Why should I uninstall older versions of Java from my system?

We highly recommend users uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.

"

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

" If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions"

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I am confused by what both of you are saying ( what's new, huh? Smiley Very Happy ). What link are you using to get to the Verizon speed test that fails? I have been using this link for years:

http://infospeed.verizon.net/

It now offers two options, one for download speeds lower than 75 Mbps, the other for 100 Mbps or higher. I have installed Java 7.7 and as expected it removed any previous Java releases. When I try to run either option of the Verizon test with the Java 7.7 Plug-in disabled, both tests hang trying to start, no error message. When I enable the 7.7 Java Plug-in, both options run just fine, and give me numbers that match up very well with previous results over the time since I got 25/25/ service.

I am using Firefox 14.0.1, Windows 7 64-bit.

I guess I must be using a different version of the Verizon speedtest? But the version I am using working just fine, I don't see any reason for Verizon to change anything based on what I see.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: The older Verizon Speed Test does not run with Java 7.7
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The older NDT-based Verizon Speed test seems to be working fine here on Java 1.7.7. I manually clear out old versions of Java on my system before upgrading to new ones as some games I own that run in Java don't like multiple versions installed. Plus, Java is known to break and be difficult to remove when it breaks.

Anyways, it worked fine for me and returned a speed test, no message or error.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

@tns wrote:

It will not run with 1.7.7 unless the older version 6 is on the machine, and you tell it to allow it to run with the older Java 6 Version. Issue I ran into was the 1.7.7 installed on Windows 7 64 removed the older verions, and then the test would not run.  Security flaws on older versions of Java.There is a link on the Java site that allows you to remove the older versions of Java. It looks like this ran with the latest 1.7.7 update. Which broke the older version of the Verizon speed test for Windows 7 64, because it removes the version 6. It did in my case.

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

"

Why should I uninstall older versions of Java from my system?

We highly recommend users uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.

"

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

" If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions"

I do not have version 6 installed.  The prompt I get is

"Warning - Old Version of Java Requested

This application would like to use an old version of Java (1.6*) that is not installed on your system.   We recommend running the application with the latest version of Java on your computer."

Buttons of "Run with the latest version" and "Cancel"

I hit "run with the latest version" and it works.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Justin wrote:

I am confused by what both of you are saying ( what's new, huh? Smiley Very Happy ). What link are you using to get to the Verizon speed test that fails? I have been using this link for years:

http://infospeed.verizon.net/

It now offers two options, one for download speeds lower than 75 Mbps, the other for 100 Mbps or higher. I have installed Java 7.7 and as expected it removed any previous Java releases. When I try to run either option of the Verizon test with the Java 7.7 Plug-in disabled, both tests hang trying to start, no error message. When I enable the 7.7 Java Plug-in, both options run just fine, and give me numbers that match up very well with previous results over the time since I got 25/25/ service.

I am using Firefox 14.0.1, Windows 7 64-bit.

I guess I must be using a different version of the Verizon speedtest? But the version I am using working just fine, I don't see any reason for Verizon to change anything based on what I see.

Keller, TX 76248

For some reason the prompt comes out when I run it under Internet explorer but not under Firefox.

prisaz
Legend

IE 9. And the NDT test ask to use the older version which is not installed. So the speed test runs a returns with zeros for the speed and wants to optinize.  Let me try FF.

Run with latest version gives me this. I need sleep. I will play later. Strange. My be my router config or my Windows 7 firewall control.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Just to prove that I am running what I think I am running..... Smiley Very Happy Environment is Windows 7 Firefox 15 (but I ran it ok earlier on 14)

75 Mbps or lower test

100 Mbps or higher test (I obscured part of my IP address)

Tested on both IE 9 and the latest release of Google Chrome. All worked just fine, but as tns said the low speed tier test on IE 9 said the application wanted to use the older version of Java but recommended using the latest version.

So I don't understand what Mark's problem is, but it all appears to me to work ok with the latest Java.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Windows 7 Firewall Control was blocking the latest version of Java. Strange that previous minor updates of 6 did not have that issue in the firewall. Only the Major to 7. After I turned off the software firewall, and uninstalled Java and reinstalled Java the tool worked. Just as I enabled the firewall it stopped. So I added the outbound exception and all is better.

But I still get the error asking to use the newer version with IE9.

0 Likes