Third party router: Separate MoCA for TV and internet/gaming?
H0RSE
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm looking to use a thrid party router for my internet/gaming and I know I need a MoCA in order to get the STB to work properly, but I also have a PC and a game console. Would I need a separate MoCA for that as well or do you just connect it direct to the router like normal?

My layout is as such:

- The coax enters the house through the bedroom wall and screws into a splitter.
- The cable in one side of the splitter continues into the router where my PC and console are connected through ethernet cable.
- I use my monitror for both PC and console (don't know if this is relevant)

- The cable in the other side of the splitter goes through a wall, into another room where it connects to my STB and the STB connects to the TV.

Now would I need to use a MoCA for each coax cable connected to the splitter or do I only need one?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Third party router: Separate MoCA for TV and internet/gaming?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You only need one MoCa adapter if you want to retire the FiOS router. That single adapter will distribute the network across the entire Coax network to any capable device. I would keep a FiOS router around, though, for support (Verizon won't support a Third party router), and in case you get new Set Top boxes that need activation. The FiOS router does work well as a MoCA adapter 😉

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You only need one MoCa adapter if you want to retire the FiOS router. That single adapter will distribute the network across the entire Coax network to any capable device. I would keep a FiOS router around, though, for support (Verizon won't support a Third party router), and in case you get new Set Top boxes that need activation. The FiOS router does work well as a MoCA adapter 😉

H0RSE
Enthusiast - Level 1

well, I wanted to get rid of the router so I don't need to pay the monethly rental fee (as well as being able to use a higher-quality router.) Keeping it around like you suggest, defeats that purpose, since I'd still need to pay for it, whether monthly fee out buy it outright.

And what MoCA do you reccomend? I was looking at ActionTec, but not sure which one to get that would allow my STB to work properly (I don't have DVR, so don't worry about that)

And where would I install it? Have the coax from the ONT go into the MoCA and then screw the splitter into the other end of the MoCA?

Thnaks for your help

0 Likes