Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Third party router, VPN, and FiOS / Verizon heavily throttling VPN redux

Message 1 of 2
(563 Views)

Good morning,

Background:

My partner and I have two homes, one in Maryland, and one in Virginia.  Instead of the Verizon Quantum routers, both locations have ASUS RT-AC66U routers with VPN enabled.  Virginia is the server, Maryland is the client.

There is no problem with the Virginia site -- testing with speedtest shows about 600 Mbps throughput.  [In fairness, my VPN is currently down now, and I should retest this with the VPN in operation.]

When I use the Quantum Router in Maryland, my speeds are similar, but since the Quantum Router cannot act as a VPN client, well, that's an issue.

When I use the ASUS router in Maryand, the VPN is up, but my speed drops precipitously -- 25 mpbs, which defeats the purpose on a 1Gbps connection.

Has anyone had similar problems?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Third party router, VPN, and FiOS / Verizon heavily throttling VPN redux

Message 2 of 2
(558 Views)

A very similar issue was posted several years ago [see here: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Verizon-Appears-To-Be-Throttling-VPN-Connections-HEAVILY...]

No solution was posted at that time.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.