This is a ping test Wed, 7/19/2012. I pay a lot of money for FIOS internet
sherman761
0 Likes
Re: This is a ping test Wed, 7/19/2012. I pay a lot of money for FIOS internet
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

Interesting I live in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area and my ping test was rated F as well and I have the 150/65 package but when I let PingTest choose the "best" server for me I get the server in Philly and it gets an "A" rating...I am going to try the server in NYC and LA and put the pics up as well...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you wireless?  can you post a traceroute?  also is there a reason you are testing to wyoming from ny?

0 Likes
be_serious

To get an accurate reading on a FIOS speed test you need to use a JAVA-based test rather than a Flash test, such as the one at WUGNET or Verizon's own, but you are right Verizon has been screwed up since at least when the storm went through, and I think several weeks before that.  Repeated testing and observation has proved to me that you are liable get any speed at any time of the day, from what you pay for to dial-up, and even connection timeouts.  As usual Verizon refuses to say anything about it, and talking to their support in Bangladesh or wherever will just get you even more screwed up.  I see they are tearing up a good part of Arlington, and expansion or improvement of service may have something to do with it, but not informing customers is inexcusable, and I have to conclude that whatever the case, they are giving TV preference over Usenet, etc.  I see that Cox offers a better phone package and higher speed Internet for exactly the price I am paying now, with free installation, and if I don't see any change or get an explanation, Verizon is going to lose a long-time customer, which I undesrtand they can't afford to see happen.  Indeed other boards are reporting an expected FIOS price increase.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

^^ True on the Java point. Java applets are often more efficient and effective at measuring transfer rates over their flash counterparts and don't slam the CPU as much, either, but will hit the disk a bit more since Java takes slightly more time to load than Flash. pingtest.net uses a Java backend with a Flash UI.

For testing FiOS, always do it from a Wired connection. You never know with a Wireless connection what's going on. Wired is at least predicatable if something happens to it.

0 Likes