Throttled connection through non quantum gateway
Cotj73
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have the 1 Gbps fiber, and while using the quantum gateway receive 600-800 Mbps Up and down as expected while wired. When I move to wireless all of my connections magically move to 90 Mbps.

To fix this I move to my previous router, "Asus Blue Cave" that I used before I moved here. While using this router, magically my entire connection wired and wireless move to 90 Mbps. Also to test what was happening I tested my connection by moving large files from one computer to another, and was able to transfer from wireless to wired at consistent rates of 600 Mbps, so the issue is on the WAN side. NOTE: in this the Quantum gateway is off my network.

In an attempt to troubleshoot this, I decided to play around and figure out what was going on, In the end the only configurating I found that provided full speed to my devices was to remove DHCP from my Asus router and plug it in (Quantum Gateway Port 4 -> Asus Port 1) and magically on the settings pages of the Quantum gateway all devices were shown as wired and went to full speed.

I am trying to figure out why Verizon is doing this, throttling connections that are wired, or not behind one of their own managed devices?

Side note: all wireless tests were done with AC 5 Ghz, which can handle the full Gpbs speed.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Throttled connection through non quantum gateway
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is not throttling your router. It must be something in your router settings. I use a Ubiquiti Edge router with a gig and it always gets over 900 mbps. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is not throttling your router. It must be something in your router settings. I use a Ubiquiti Edge router with a gig and it always gets over 900 mbps. 

dlearno4

I also use ubiquiti but can observe this behavior.  if I hardwire a laptop directly to the ONT, the speeds are 1/4th of the quantum gateway.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.