Switch Account

Throttling Netflix for PCs?

Throttling Netflix for PCs?

Contributor mariosa
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(1,607 Views)

I consistentlyget at least 35Mbps download speeds from my connection.  It was therefore surprising to notice that I couldn't stream Netlix movies in HD on mylaptop computer.  I onlygot 480 eventhough all the Netflix settings were correct.  As an experiment Idecided to disconnect from Verizon and connect to the internet through my ATT iPhone's hotspot.  I had absolutely no problem  getting HD streaming.  I looked on a few forums online and read that Verizon may be throttling Netflix to push its Redbox service.  Regardless of what the reason behind this is, I will certainly dump Verizon as my ISP if I can't trust their internet neutrality.  Has anybody else had a similar experience?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Contributor erb4230
Contributor
Message 2 of 4
(1,495 Views)

Yes mariosa, Verizon is and has been throttling.  I have to IP address to block on your firewall settings if you want to email me directly at {edited for privacy}.  Verizon will no longer be able to throttle your connections to Hulu, Netflix, Facebook, and YouTube.

Contributor DirtyJack
Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(560 Views)

Hi Lawrence. I have a 75Mbps Fios service and I can't get a HD Netflix stream. Speed Test shows 66Mbps over Wifi and slightly higher wired. I'm connecting using my LG BlueRay player app.  Is there a router setting I can change to prevent Verrizon from throttling my Netflix streams?

thx, Jack

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 4 of 4
(555 Views)

It isn't throttling in a traditional sense but instead not upgrading the connection between them and Netflix. Both sides think the other should pay for the upgrade. (there are a ton of forums and news articles on this) The only real solution is to use a VPN which tends to cost money (but many offer a trial period). 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.