Thunderbird config to send/receive email
winsomesmile

I tried configuring Thunderbird to send/receive email from my new verizon fios account.  Simple Pop3 - how hard can it be?  Well, using the settings provided, I am unable to send or receive email.  I called and talked to tech support and they said they don't support Thunderbird, but I could talk to 'premium' support since they have no support boundaries.  Well, I don't think I should have to pay to get my email setup to a POP3 client. 

Here's my current config:

Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.23

Account:

Server Type: POP Mail Server

Server Name: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net

Port 110

User Name: myname

Security Settings: Use Secure Connection: never

Use secure authentication - not checked

SMTP Server

Server Name: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

Port: 25

User secure connection: no

When trying to send an email I get:

Sending of message failed.  The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net failed.  The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections.  Please verify...

When I try to get mail I get:

Sending of password did not succeed.  Mail server incoming.yahoo.verizon.net responded:  Error logging in.  Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbird config to send/receive email
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

pop3 mail requires authentication.    after that, you have placed  <.yahoo.> in the server name, so, have you checked to make sure that is correct ?

0 Likes
winsomesmile

That was the one thing the tech told me on the phone - to use verizon.yahoo.net for incoming and outgoing instead of verizon.net

Other than that, I'm not sure where else to check that that is correct.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@winsomesmile wrote:

That was the one thing the tech told me on the phone - to use verizon.yahoo.net for incoming and outgoing instead of verizon.net

Other than that, I'm not sure where else to check that that is correct.

If the agent told you to use the Yahoo servers, they were probably right. If you want to verify, you can log into your account at www.verizon.net and it should say that you have a Verizon with Yahoo account.

As for the settings:

1. Make sure the username and password that you have are the correct ones. Logging in to verizon.net will verify this.

2. Check your incoming server settings. They should look something like the following image. (Of course, where the example just says "username" your username should be filled in.)

3. Check your outgoing server settings. They should look something like the following image. (Of course, where the example just says "username" your username should be filled in.)

4. Make sure that the password you are entering is correct. I suggest typing it out in a notepad then using copy and paste to verify that it is correct, since it will appear as asterisks in Thunderbird. Once you have successfully sent and received a test message, you might consider checking the box for remembering your password, although this is less secure than typing it in every time.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, just let us know. 🙂

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

earlier I mentioned that pop 3 requies authentication because in your original post you stated:

for incoming settings:     "Use secure authentication - not checked"  and for outgoing settings: 

"User secure connection: no"

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

Outgoing server requires authentication. please use same settings as incoming server.

If you have selected yahoo as your portal partner than use yahoo in your server names.

0 Likes