Tips for Optimal DL Speed?
davidmo1

Paying for 50mbps and getting 5mbps.. unacceptable. What can I do to change this? Already ran the optimizer and got little to no results.

Tried unhooking the Vonage box and that didn't help.. what gives? Is it because the TV is on and theyre all connected by the modem/router?

Just need some help here. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Tips for Optimal DL Speed?
cnev6464

How are you checking your download speed? Have you tried running a check on speedtest.net? If you're getting slow speeds by just downloading from some site, it could be the remote server's connection that's slow, not your connection.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you connected directly to the FiOS router using an Wired connection or are you on a Wireless connection? If wired or Wireless, do you have any other routers or devices in between you and the FiOS router?

0 Likes
davidmo1

yeah, using speedtest.net

@Smith6612 wrote:

Are you connected directly to the FiOS router using an Wired connection or are you on a Wireless connection? If wired or Wireless, do you have any other routers or devices in between you and the FiOS router?

and yeah connected directly to the FiOS router thru a wired connection on my desktop.

Routers or devices in between? not really.. a wireless mouse a set of speakers.
My upload speed remains around 30 mbps and the download fluctuates. Today in the morning I was at 58 mbps and now I'm at 10..

0 Likes
matt_g
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm also seeing the same thing. Been troubleshooting my connection for about the past week trying to figure out what's going on. Happens on wired and wireless connections directly connected to the router. Fios support even sent me a new router thinking my old router was the problem. Still no luck. my downloads are horrible, uploads are great. Just ran a test on the FIOS broadband speed test and download was .225Mbps, upload 28Mbps on my wired PC. Laptop was at .5/18. Very frustrating!

edit: also tried speedtest.net and speakeasy.net/speedtest with very similar results....

0 Likes
davidmo1

wow, you're getting under 1mbps? How do you do ANYTHING on the internet? Gonna call tomorrow and ask what's up.. cause this is complete bull**bleep**.

So the people that pay for 300mbps get like 10mbps at night? Stupid. 

0 Likes
davidmo1

does changing my DNS help at all with this?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@davidmo wrote:

does changing my DNS help at all with this?

It can help in some cases, yes.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if your download is THAT low, it might be a duplex setting that is hurting you, Try changing it. 

If it's set to auto - Experiment and change it to 100 full mode, and 100 half mode.

See which works best for you and let us know if it helps.

Here is simple instruction on how to do it in Microsoft Windows:

1) Open Windows Explorer, right click My computer and click onProperties.

2) System Properties window will appear, click on Hardware tab and then click Device Manager.

Note: Of course you can always use different methods to open this Device Manager.

3) Expand Network adapters’ entry in Device Manager window, right click the network card that you want to change speed/duplex setting and clickProperties.

speed and duplex change in Microsoft Windows to solve slow Internet

4) Go to Advanced tab of network card’s properties window, here you can locate the entry to check or change the speed/duplex setting, normally it can be Speed & Duplex, Link Speed & Duplex, Link Speed/Duplex Mode, etc. You can proceed to change the setting toAuto or other specific speed/duplex mode (10Mbps full duplex, 100Mbps half duplex, 1000Mbps half duplex, etc). Finally click OK and close all windows.

Note: Most of the time the network card should work well by having auto, auto mode or auto negotiation setting, but sometimes it can cause slow network or Internet access problem. If you know the speed/duplex mode of connected router/switches, you can set to specific speed/duplex setting and test it. If not sure, test on all different settings.

change speed and duplex mode in Microsoft Windows, can be full duplex or half duplex

0 Likes