To Modem or Not to Modem ... That is the Question
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Perhaps it's just my bad luck, but I have not been able to get a final answer for this question:

For FIOS internet-only service (no voice, nor TV, only internet) ... do I need a modem?

Some Verizon chat representatives say I do, and some say I don't. Some well-meaning forum participants say I do, and some say I don't. Did I unknowingly ask a difficult question? Hope not.

Please ... what is the answer? (Maybe I should try to ask a Verizon installer next time I see one.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: To Modem or Not to Modem ... That is the Question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Repeat after me:

• FiOS does not use modems.

FiOS uses an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), a router and set-top boxes.  The ONT is installed, managed and owned by Verizon.  You must use theirs.  No exceptions.

The ONT has coax, phone and Ethernet ports.  Which ones are active depend on which services you subscribe to.  If you subscribe to internet, the Ethernet port will be active.

The router connects to the Ethernet port on the ONT.  If you have TV service, it also connects to coax.  If you don't have TV service, you can use any router you like.  Just plug it into the ONT's Ethernet port.  Note, however, that Verizon only supports their routers.  If you have a problem they will diagnose it up to the ONT.  If it goes beyond the ONT, you'll be on your own.  If you're a techie, this isn't a big deal.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Repeat after me:

FiOS uses an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), a router and set-top boxes.  The ONT is installed, managed and owned by Verizon.  You must use theirs.  No exceptions.

The ONT has coax, phone and Ethernet ports.  Which ones are active depend on which services you subscribe to.  If you subscribe to internet, the Ethernet port will be active.

The router connects to the Ethernet port on the ONT.  If you have TV service, it also connects to coax.  If you don't have TV service, you can use any router you like.  Just plug it into the ONT's Ethernet port.  Note, however, that Verizon only supports their routers.  If you have a problem they will diagnose it up to the ONT.  If it goes beyond the ONT, you'll be on your own.  If you're a techie, this isn't a big deal.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... first, repeat the mantra of the previous poster.   FiOS does not use modems.   Without all the other detail, you are essentially handed an ethernet connection/cable which connects directly to the Internet.

You need a router ... a residential router.  Not one with an imbedded cable modem (DOCSIS) or other "modem".   Not a modem.  A basic home router -- of a new variety which supports high speed uplink/downlink, not one from back in the early 2000's when broadband was much slower -- something with a GB WAN interface and current Wi-Fi technology.

You can use any commercially available residential router of your choosing such as those by companies like Netgear, ASUS, TP-Link, Linksys, etc.  Verizon will also sell or allow you to rent a router from them for a monthly fee.

If you use you're own router -- you're on your own.  If something's not working, Verizon will tell you that it's a problem with your router (or pretty much something along those lines).   If a geek like many of us here, you may well be very comfortable with this approach.   Many of us are.

If you use their router -- they will perform the basic troubleshooting up to the router itself and if it's rented will even replace it if it fails.

My suggestion out of the box is ... rent the router from Verizon.  Get the service up and running and working.   Once you're stable, go out and buy your own router and replace the Verizon router and once you're sure the new setup is working, return the Verizon router and eliminate the monthly the rental fee.   Benefit here is that Verizon will get things setup and working for you before they leave rather just handing you a cable, shrugging their shoulders, and saying "good luck".     Once you understand everything, you can switch to your own router and motor on (or not).

CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks to both of you for your helpful advice. I consider the matter settled. (I'll try to mark both replies as a 'Solution.')

I'm also a geek 😉 and I already have a router, which I will use when I get FIOS internet-only service. There is already an ONT on the side of my house, but it's years old and Verizon may want to replace it.

You also anticipated my next question: Who will run the Ethernet cable?

For a variety of reasons, the ONT is on the only external wall of my house where it makes sense to have an ONT. I don't expect Verizon to fish cable to my router, and I don't think they would want to, either. (They may not even be allowed to do this.)  I will gladly do this. Therefore ...

If I run Ethernet cable to a place on the inside wall opposite when the ONT is now, such that all the installer has to do is plug the cable into whatever they're going to put on the inside wall, will that be acceptable to Verizon?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't care who runs the Ethernet cable.  If one is there, they will use it.  If not, they will run it  They don't fish walls, they tack cable to the outside of them. They will likely charge more to install an Ethernet cable.

If you want a neater install, do it yourself or hire your own installer.

CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks again.

I'll run the cable myself. I am a cable artiste.  😆