TraceRT broken?
Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know of a Windows work around for the broken TraceRT? It seems to limit everything to 2 hops. Only effects Windows devices. The traceroute via my router's diagnostic works fine. Problem didn't happen when same router was on Cox ISP. Here is what it looks like when I traceRT google.com:

"Tracing route to google.com [172.217.11.46]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AC1900P-1120 [192.168.1.1]
2 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms lga25s61-in-f14.1e100.net [172.217.11.46]"

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TraceRT broken?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Trace routes can be done with UDP or ICMP packets.  Windows tracert uses ICMP.  Linux and Mac trace route uses UDP by default (and can be changed to ICMP.)

FiOS's network handles ICMP packets differently then UDP packets.  UDP pings work fine.

Since Windows tracert can't be changed to use UDP, Windows users need to use a tool like PingPlotter that lets you select UDP or ICMP.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Trace routes can be done with UDP or ICMP packets.  Windows tracert uses ICMP.  Linux and Mac trace route uses UDP by default (and can be changed to ICMP.)

FiOS's network handles ICMP packets differently then UDP packets.  UDP pings work fine.

Since Windows tracert can't be changed to use UDP, Windows users need to use a tool like PingPlotter that lets you select UDP or ICMP.

Good Luck.

Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried PingPlotter but it seems the free version doesn't have the engine options available to change to UDP. Have any other suggestions for a free client or should I upgrade PingPlotter? Thanks for the info.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can get PingPlotter Pro free for a short time.

I'm not aware of other Windows tools, but I haven't looked.  Google is your friend.  🙂

Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

I gave it a try and it worked great, thanks!

Why does Verizon not allow ICMP Traceroute, and can they fix it?
BasicUser2

None of Windows "tracert" , the very standard "winmtr.exe" app, PingPlotter using ICMP work correctly on Verizon Fios  Internet network.  This makes it REALLY HARD to diagnose where network latency problems are occurring.  When talking with Verizon techs, they tell me to "run traceroute."  I say "but it only shows 2 hops."  They won't believe it until they do a screen capture. 

An online post from 2019 (https://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2019/01/verizon-fios-icmp-traceroute-issues/) suggests that suggesting that the issue was a DNAT rule that was forwarding ICMP traffic with a TTL > 1 to the ONT .

Meanwhile, the old instructions from Verizon (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-148004/) on how to do a Traceroute on Windows tell you to use "tracert" and show results as they SHOULD be, with multiple hops.

Please, can Verizon fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon not allow ICMP Traceroute, and can they fix it?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are correct, this used to work for ICMP.  I'd like to see this fixed, too.  I don't work for Verizon, nor do I have any inside contacts.  If you want to talk to Verizon about this, you need to call, chat or Tweet them @VerizonSupport.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

You are correct, this used to work for ICMP.  I'd like to see this fixed, too.  I don't work for Verizon, nor do I have any inside contacts.  If you want to talk to Verizon about this, you need to call, chat or Tweet them @VerizonSupport.

Correct. OR they can use Verizon Direct at DSLR

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like someone over at DSLReports already brought this up. The conversation is interesting.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Trikein wrote:

Looks like someone over at DSLReports already brought this up. The conversation is interesting.

While I +1/agree/nods head in agreement - that is not Verizon Direct. In Verizon Direct at DSLR you can post private info (like account number, phone number) and get their attention and help.

While I would love to use Verizon Direct, I can't as I am not a customer of theirs anymore (as of ~2014).