Translate Port Number While Forwarding -- Quantum G1100
GFVALVO
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm trying to setup forwarding so the port number is different on my internal network than on the external internet. Say my SSH server is working on port 22 but, to make it harder to find from outside, I want to access it externally on port 41022. I've tried all the settings I can find in the Quantum G1100, but can't make this happen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Translate Port Number While Forwarding -- Quantum G1100
dduff617
Enthusiast - Level 1

this can be done quite easily using the standard interface on the G1100.  

the default simple behavior is to preserve the same destination port.   if you click the "advanced" button, you will be given the opportunity to specify a different destination port when you are adding a new port forwarding rule.    

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you are talking about is called PAT (Port address translation).

Not sure if the Quantum router supports that.

It is a pretty specialized feature that most people wouldn't use.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GFVALVO wrote:

I'm trying to setup forwarding so the port number is different on my internal network than on the external internet. Say my SSH server is working on port 22 but, to make it harder to find from outside, I want to access it externally on port 41022. I've tried all the settings I can find in the Quantum G1100, but can't make this happen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg

Do you have any rules in your port forwarding rules for port 35000 - 3500n ?  If so are the devices being addressed 192.168.1.10n:8082  If they are using PAT as you will see the incoming port is 35000 - 3500n
I would assume the software on the g1100 is the same as the Actiontec (not guranteed)  
On the actiontec you can set up your own PAT devices by adding an advanced rule and custom portsand On that page make the source port any, the destination port the incoming port from the outside and the forward to port your listener is on.
0 Likes
dduff617
Enthusiast - Level 1

this can be done quite easily using the standard interface on the G1100.  

the default simple behavior is to preserve the same destination port.   if you click the "advanced" button, you will be given the opportunity to specify a different destination port when you are adding a new port forwarding rule.