Trick to talk to real engineer
Jb1677
I have a chronic upload speed issue, I am fed up with technicians that don't understand basic computers and technology. I have valid data (packet captures) that show my problem clearly but I can't get anyone from support that knows what a packet capture is. It seems everyone is scripted to do the following in order reboot router, reset router, reboot ONT, replace router, replace ONT - then blame the customers computer since there cold not be any other issue.
0 Likes
Re: Trick to talk to real engineer
Hubrisnxs
Legend

closest I have seen someone talk to an engineer at verizon is through the twitter support group, or the dslreports direct forum

Even then, it's not an engineer, but a highly skilled level 2 or 3 agent.   in general you get the right support though. 

what does the packet capture show, and where? 

0 Likes
Jb1677

Packet capture shows large amounts of retransmits during any upload operation (speedtest, upload to dropbox, upload to google drive etc).  The more retransmits, the lower the effective bandwith is of the transfer.  At some points it takes 2 or 3 minutes to upload a single digital camera picture on 35/35Mbps internet.  All PCs in house started having issue at same time.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any neighbors with similar issues? Could be dirty fiber, could be something bad back at the CO. Those tend to be the common places to check for if upstream is having re-transmit issues.

0 Likes
Jb1677

I cant get a technician to even acknowlege the retransmit issue, the concept sems foreign to them.  They seem to just bounce around between somewhat sound albeit simple troubleshooting to more complex topics but using dated knowlege like rwin adjustments that made sense on XP but not on modern OS's that auto scale these things.  I have went along with every recomendation, every random tool to "optimize" settings that I have been pointed to etc.

I feel like in the right hands there would be a simple solution to this, I just dont know how to run the gauntlet to get there.  The techs on th ephone say I cant speak to higher level engineers, only the field techs can do that and the field techs while good at their job overall are not so good at computer technology - the mention of a packet capture just gets me blank stares.

Also worth reiterating that download is impecable, no issues at all acheiving above adtertised speed from any reputible site (eg google drive or dropbox).

0 Likes
Jb1677

I have a tech coming to the house again today, not sure what they are going to do.  The last tech said with absolute certainty that something was wrong, and tha tit was not in my house.  So frustrating being ping ponged around support for weeks.  I m confident in the right hands this issue would be resolved quickly, just have no idea how to get it there.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The field tech's don't need to know what a packet capture is, they just need to know who to call when they have a high end problem like that. 

there aren't many internet providers that send MCSE's or CCNA's to your house.

Also Win 7 doesn't auto scale the upload rwin properly.    Just an FYI. 

0 Likes
Jb1677

Any tips on what I should do to correct the Win7 rwin scaling issue?  I want to make sure all my equipment is in tip top shape before arrival!

RE the Technician, the hard part is getting them to look past a potentially flaswed speed test

0 Likes