Trouble Connecting Insignia Wireless BluRay to Verizon FIOS Actiontec Modem MI424WR - Solution
Roger-INSG
Enthusiast - Level 1

All,

I am a Product Engineer in charge of networking products for Insignia.  There have been numerous reports of "Trouble Connecting Insignia Wireless BluRay to Verizon FIOS Actiontec Modem MI424WR".  The problem is easily remedied by following these simple steps;

In case you do not have the manual, here is a link:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/User+Guides/User+Guides.htm

Click on the link to the Verizon MI424WR, and I will reference pages in the manual.

Once you log into your router via the web, you should see the screen on page 16. CLick on Wireless Setup icon on top left. That will take you to the screen on page 28.

Click on Advanced, and you will see the screen on page 30.

The click on WEP(even if it's already checked) 

A new screen will appear. The top is the Network Authentication drop-down box. Change it to "Both".

Re: Trouble Connecting Insignia Wireless BluRay to Verizon FIOS Actiontec Modem MI424WR - Solution
prisaz
Legend

@Roger-INSG wrote:

All,

I am a Product Engineer in charge of networking products for Insignia.  There have been numerous reports of "Trouble Connecting Insignia Wireless BluRay to Verizon FIOS Actiontec Modem MI424WR".  The problem is easily remedied by following these simple steps;

In case you do not have the manual, here is a link:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/User+Guides/User+Guides.htm

Click on the link to the Verizon MI424WR, and I will reference pages in the manual.

Once you log into your router via the web, you should see the screen on page 16. CLick on Wireless Setup icon on top left. That will take you to the screen on page 28.

Click on Advanced, and you will see the screen on page 30.

The click on WEP(even if it's already checked) 

A new screen will appear. The top is the Network Authentication drop-down box. Change it to "Both".

Posting information like this is helpful to all users that my have this product. I have added tags that may assist others in searching for this topic.

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Trouble Connecting Insignia Wireless BluRay to Verizon FIOS Actiontec Modem MI424WR - Solution
edbellmicro

I created a log in to thank you. I purchased my Insigna with wirekess a week ago and have read all types of changes on the the Insigna sight to get connected with my FIOS and these simple steps worked like a dream.

Thank you Rodger

0 Likes
RogerA

Roger - Thank you so very much.  I was getting ready to return the Insignia DVD Blu-Ray player after trying for hours to get it to connect to my Verizon router.  Until I followed your steps I could connect only with a direct cable.  I would suggest that Insignia add your information to their manual as an addendum.  I'm quite sure many others have had the same issue.  Worked perfectly after your suggestion.  Note to others:  The password that is asked for is ther WEP key found on the router label.  Also to log onto the router, type http://192.168.1.1 from Internet explorer and use admin, and password1 (or may be password) to acces the router.

0 Likes
DAP

Thank you SO MUCH for this post. After a half hour of frustration, I finally updated the Insignia's firmware (located here http://insigniaproducts.com/products/dvd-players-recorders/NS-WBRDVD.html) using a USB drive. Then I Googled the connection problem with my FIOS router and found this post.  I followed your instructions and voila!! Success! Many, many thanks! I am posting this link in my product review on the Insignia site as well. Thanks also for the post with Verizon's login info. My router password was password1 as suggested. I never would have guessed that. Thanks again!

0 Likes
WashDCFlyer

Wanted to add my thanks for this solution.   Got the Insignia player today and could not get the wifi connection to work until I found this post.  also thanks for posting the Verizon router log in info.

0 Likes
SantaOG160
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I just bought an Isignia Blu-Ray Disc  Player Model # NS-WBRDVD. I have FiOS Broadband Interent & th ActionTec wireless router MI424R.

The router is already set up for Wi-Fi. I have a PS3 and a couple of laptops that use Wi-Fi effortlessly.

The Insignia however gets rejected by the router, even though I use the same WEP key as all my other devies use. I updated the Insignia Firmware.

Is there any chance you can give a clearer step by step of how to correct this obvious communications problem between the Blu-Ray player and the router?

Thanks!

0 Likes
BTBRIAN

Insignia NS-WBRDVD Bluray Wireless DVD player is not compatable with Verizon routers for residential provided routers. This according to at least two different INSIGNIA technicians I spoke to over four days of trying to set the wireless connection of this DVD player up. They claimed if I had a Verizon router made in USA it would work. Veizon replied they only provide the Actiontec router for residential customers and they're all made in China. Insignia techs had me constantly calling back and forth with Verizon techs. I tried everything: Updated the Insignia using a thumb drive, changed my router from WEP to WPA, changed the connection name after each change in case Insignia DVD kept a "Profile" of my last attempt, everything they had me try. PS Insignia only allows 63 characters in the password but Verizon WPA password requires 64 characters. Have to mail the DVD player back. I don't know what you other people are talking about being able to set this up when INSIGNIA finally said they're not compatable with Verizon.

0 Likes