Trouble Connecting to Shared Network Drive
judgemantx

I have recently set up my MacBook Pro to connect to my corporate VPN. I can connect to the VPN but am unable to connect to the shared drive while on my Verizon Fios internet service. Seems like everywhere else no problems. I can even tether my Does X and connect. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble Connecting to Shared Network Drive
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@judgemantx wrote:

I am being told that since the 3rd number in the shared drive address is .1 and my router 3rd number is .1 it it causing a connection conflict not allowing the shared drive to connect.

Then change the subnet of the router to something else such as 192.168.2.x.

• Click on the My Netowrk icon
  • Select Network Connections from the left menu
  • Click on Network (Home/Office)
  • Settings
  • IP Address set to 192.168.2.1
  • Start IP Address: Set to 192.168.2.2
  • End IP Address: Set to 192.168.2.254
  • APPLY

The router will reboot.  Be sure to reboot your PC, your STBs and all other devices connected to your router so they pick up new DHCP addresses.

I answered somebody else a few days back saying they could try this but I wasn't sure it would work as I'd never seen it suggested before in the 2 years I've been on these forums

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Actiontec-router-IP-address-conflicts-with-wired-home-net...

Are you sure it can be done.  OP's answer from Verizon appears to say it will mess up the STBs.  Not sure I understand why unless they have hard coded something in the firmware to expect the subnet to be 192.168.1

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Many VPN clients will prevent you from connecting to local IP addresses while the corporate VPN is active.

Do you really want that shared drive visible on the corporate LAN?

0 Likes
judgemantx

Yes, we use this for temporary file transfer so we don't overload the ftp site.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Is this YOUR shared drive (at your house within your network) or a corporate shared drive?

0 Likes
judgemantx

It is a corporate shared drive.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@judgemantx wrote:

It is a corporate shared drive.

Then you should be talking to your network IT folks.

If your VPN connects, it is not a FIOS problem.

0 Likes
judgemantx

I am being told that since the 3rd number in the shared drive address is .1 and my router 3rd number is .1 it it causing a connection conflict not allowing the shared drive to connect.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@judgemantx wrote:

• Settings
  • APPLY

The router will reboot.  Be sure to reboot your PC, your STBs and all other devices connected to your router so they pick up new DHCP addresses.

0 Likes
judgemantx

I really appreciate your persistance in trying to help me fix this problem. I was on the telephone 3 times yesterday with Verizon tech support. They are telling me that if I change the 3rd number in the router it will affect my Verizon TV's ability to download TV programing schedules.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@judgemantx wrote:

• Settings
  • APPLY

I answered somebody else a few days back saying they could try this but I wasn't sure it would work as I'd never seen it suggested before in the 2 years I've been on these forums

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Actiontec-router-IP-address-conflicts-with-wired-home-net...

Are you sure it can be done.  OP's answer from Verizon appears to say it will mess up the STBs.  Not sure I understand why unless they have hard coded something in the firmware to expect the subnet to be 192.168.1

0 Likes