Trouble accessing a website
Mikewnyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having trouble accessing the website for my bank in the UK.  I know it sounds very strange, but when I try via my Verizon fios internet connection it always comes up website can't be found, but when I try via a VPN or 'hidingmyas*.com' it works. It also works on my cell phone via the mobile network.

I don't know anyone else on the Verizon internet service so could someone here please could someone  (preferably in NYC) please try and access halifax.co.uk or halifax-online.co.uk and let me know if it works.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble accessing a website
Mikewnyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have managed to resolve this. it was to do with the DNS, so I have changed the DNS records in the router to OpenDNS and the problem has gone away.  It's also faster brousing now.

Thanks everyone for their replies.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

i could reach the first, i couldn't reach the 2nd  http://www.halifax-online.co.uk/

I am not on fios right now but at a remote site.  

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Mikewnyc wrote:

I've been having trouble accessing the website for my bank in the UK.  I know it sounds very strange, but when I try via my Verizon fios internet connection it always comes up website can't be found, but when I try via a VPN or 'hidingmyas*.com' it works. It also works on my cell phone via the mobile network.

I don't know anyone else on the Verizon internet service so could someone here please could someone  (preferably in NYC) please try and access halifax.co.uk or halifax-online.co.uk and let me know if it works.

Thanks in advance

Odds are you have an IP address that was owned previously by someone being very naughty, and you bank's site has it blocked.

You can contact your bank's webmaster and request that it be unblocked, and/or try to get a new IP address. The simplest way to do this is just to unplug the router for an extended period of time. (Before you go to bed is probably the best bet.)

You can also go into the router and manually release your current IP and unplug it for a shorter period of time, but that's more involved.

0 Likes
hootowl1
Enthusiast - Level 2
We are experiencing a major slowdown and access problem here in SE PA
0 Likes
Mikewnyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have managed to resolve this. it was to do with the DNS, so I have changed the DNS records in the router to OpenDNS and the problem has gone away.  It's also faster brousing now.

Thanks everyone for their replies.

0 Likes