Trouble connecting older Gateway desktop to home network
FJT109
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all-

I am trying to connect an older Gateway 5200s desktop (that we have used for internet previously) to my current home network, but I'm not getting any internet connectivity.

Home router is Actiontec M1424 wr rev E.

the old Gateway uses Windows XP Prof v 2002 SP3

The wireless network adapter is 1394 Net Adapter and also the Intel R pro/100 VE network connection

(the Intel adapter says a "network cable is unplugged" and I never knew what that meant- connections have worked in the past)

My current home system is a Dell desktop running Windows Vista home

The old Gateway is up and running, but I just cant seem to figure out what the internet connection problem is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble connecting older Gateway desktop to home network
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can connect wirelessly.

Can your laptop connect to the router near to where your Gateway is?

If so, sounds like you just need to configure your wireless adapter to connect properly.

As this is a FIOS forum, you may have to find support for your wireless adapter for details on how to operate it properly.

View solution in original post

FJT109
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI, the Actiontec router is downstairs and the old Gateway is upstairs.... 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If Windows is displaying 'network cable is unplugged", and you do indeed have a cable plugged in, then you do not have a good connection from the PC to the router. i.e.  The PC ethernet adapter can not detect an ethernet signal from the cable.  Try replacing the cat5 cable between the PC and the router.  Also try a different port on the router.

FJT109
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response- however, I don't have any cable from the Gateway PC and the router is downstairs on the other computer. I was under the impression that I could connect wirelessly as I do for my laptop... 

Is that not the case? If not, will I need a service visit from Verizon to set it up?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can connect wirelessly.

Can your laptop connect to the router near to where your Gateway is?

If so, sounds like you just need to configure your wireless adapter to connect properly.

As this is a FIOS forum, you may have to find support for your wireless adapter for details on how to operate it properly.

CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Since you have an older computer with a wireless adapter the most likely problem is that your PC's adapter is B/G only and the new router is set to N only.

Change the setting on your new router to recognize leagacy connections (b/g/n ) and you should be good to go.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FJT109 wrote:

Hi all-

I am trying to connect an older Gateway 5200s desktop (that we have used for internet previously) to my current home network, but I'm not getting any internet connectivity.

Home router is Actiontec M1424 wr rev E.

the old Gateway uses Windows XP Prof v 2002 SP3

The wireless network adapter is 1394 Net Adapter and also the Intel R pro/100 VE network connection

(the Intel adapter says a "network cable is unplugged" and I never knew what that meant- connections have worked in the past)

My current home system is a Dell desktop running Windows Vista home

The old Gateway is up and running, but I just cant seem to figure out what the internet connection problem is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Did you connect wirelessly before with this machine?  Whose wireless adapter is the 1394 network adapter? - typically that means a firewire adapter that is not wireless.

FJT109
Enthusiast - Level 2

It appears that the signal was not getting from the router to the old computer. I guess it was out of range, or something like that. So I purchased a wireless adapter and hooked it up and there we go. I am now connected and am going through the process of updating files, programs and other utilities that were installed somewhere around 2007-08 from what I am seeing... lots of updates and uninstalling obsolete programs. 

I am noticing a noticeable slowdown in the system- when I turn it on, it takes awhile to be "ready" for internet or running a program and even then, once connected to the internet, the system seems VERY slow to react and bring up my internet content- I have plenty of memory left and just installed Google Chrome (last used IE 7 0r 8 on the system). I assume that's the first step, but I am wondering what else I can do to improve performance? 

I think it's best if I post that last issue on a different Verizon forum but for now, I think the issue is resolved and I will mark it resolved. 

Thanks to all who helped.

0 Likes