Trouble hooking up a second computer
doodad98

Hello,

I am trying to hook-up a second computer onto the FIOS router via wire.  The computer is a Dell that was previously used in another home with a DSL link.  The network is configured to automatically get a new IP address but it still retains the old address.  I tried ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew.  When I used ipconfig /renew I got a timeout error that said it was "unable to contact your DHCP server"  I have tried multiple ports on the router, including swapping ports with this computer that obviously works.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Trouble hooking up a second computer
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

uninstall and reinstall the ethernet card and that should fix it.

0 Likes
Re: Trouble hooking up a second computer
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

doodad98..Make sure in network connections that all LAN properties are to obtain IP automatically along with obtains DNS automatically.  Also check internet explorer then under tools/ internet options/ connections make sure never dial a connection is checked & then under LAN settings tab that automatically detect settings is checked. let us know. Also when you do a ipconfig from dos prompt what is the IP address your getting and are you able to ping the default gateway?

0 Likes