Trouble hooking up a second computer

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble hooking up a second computer

Message 1 of 3
(4,508 Views)

Hello,

I am trying to hook-up a second computer onto the FIOS router via wire.  The computer is a Dell that was previously used in another home with a DSL link.  The network is configured to automatically get a new IP address but it still retains the old address.  I tried ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew.  When I used ipconfig /renew I got a timeout error that said it was "unable to contact your DHCP server"  I have tried multiple ports on the router, including swapping ports with this computer that obviously works.  Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Trouble hooking up a second computer

Message 2 of 3
(4,506 Views)

uninstall and reinstall the ethernet card and that should fix it.

Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Re: Trouble hooking up a second computer

Message 3 of 3
(4,460 Views)

doodad98..Make sure in network connections that all LAN properties are to obtain IP automatically along with obtains DNS automatically.  Also check internet explorer then under tools/ internet options/ connections make sure never dial a connection is checked & then under LAN settings tab that automatically detect settings is checked. let us know. Also when you do a ipconfig from dos prompt what is the IP address your getting and are you able to ping the default gateway?

Brett
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.