Trouble replacing Westell 9100EM router w/ Asus RT-AC68U
ajhartman

I got a new router (ASUS RT-A68U) and want to replace the Westell 9100EM that came installed w/ my FiOS package.

I have the new router connected, and it can get to the internet just fine.  It's gui says it's connected to the internet, and I can use it's onboard diagnostics to ping google.com, do a tracert, etc.  However, none of the devices I connect to the new router can get an IP address.  My WIRED connection from the PC to the router is unable to get an IP, even after ipconfig /release and /renew (Windows 7, from command line).  My mobile phone can connect wirelessly to the new router, but is also unable to get an IP address.

Are there some settings I need to manage in order to have it automatically assign IPs to connected devices?  I've set the new router to use google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4).  Do I need to use verizon's servers first?  Is there a change to the subnet mask or anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice 🙂

-Adam

0 Likes
Re: Trouble replacing Westell 9100EM router w/ Asus RT-AC68U
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Your Asus is handing out 192.168.x.x range IP's.  When you connect a new device, do an ipconfig and make sure that they are picking up an IP in that range.

You probably know, but for others who don't, if your ASUS is handing out 192.168.2.1 for the gateway, then IP addresses handed to machines need to be 192.168.2.x

If it gets a different subnet like 192.168.1.10 then it won't route properly.

I understand your pinging and tracing, and that is from a particular device, and if it's doing both then it SHOULD get online, and if it's not you may have some security or child protection software blocking you.

when you bring on a computer and it's not connecting, my impression is that it's also not pinging and or tracing.   Is that true?

Also you're connected from the main Verizon ONT to the Asus via Ethernet.  My question is do you have TV service too?  If you do then the Actiontec should be connected to the ASUS so that the Set top boxes can get VOD and the Guide data, and can be configured in different ways.  Many people will connect an Ethernet cable from a lan port on the Asus, to the Wan port of the Actiontec, and then configure the Asus with an ip OTHER THAN 192.168.1.1.  If it's configured with 1.1 and the Actiontec is in the picture, then they will route in a loop and never actually get online 

0 Likes
ajhartman

The only pinging or tracing is from inside the router, through it's internal diagnostics function.  I'm connecting to it via the desktop machine, but that's as far as it goes.

I don't have FiOS TV, just internet, and the connection from the ONT is ethernet straight into the ASUS router.

Connecting any machine to the router, that machine can't ping anything.

It might actually be getting an IP, I forgot to notice when I did IPCONFIG.  I can check tonight and post the results.

-Adam

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ok, that's good, definitely check and make sure that it's getting an ip similar to your ASUS gateway ip address.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ajhartman wrote:

I got a new router (ASUS RT-A68U) and want to replace the Westell 9100EM that came installed w/ my FiOS package.

I have the new router connected, and it can get to the internet just fine.  It's gui says it's connected to the internet, and I can use it's onboard diagnostics to ping google.com, do a tracert, etc.  However, none of the devices I connect to the new router can get an IP address.  My WIRED connection from the PC to the router is unable to get an IP, even after ipconfig /release and /renew (Windows 7, from command line).  My mobile phone can connect wirelessly to the new router, but is also unable to get an IP address.

Are there some settings I need to manage in order to have it automatically assign IPs to connected devices?  I've set the new router to use google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4).  Do I need to use verizon's servers first?  Is there a change to the subnet mask or anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice 🙂

-Adam

Reset the router to factory defaults by pressing the reset button,

By default the router is set up as 192.168.1.1 so enter that address in a browser and connect

The default login is uerid admin and password admin

you should be able to use Quick Internet Setup QIS

Your fios account will give you an automatic dhcp address and no userid and password is required for that

at this point your router should be connected to the internet.

Using the main manu select lan and make sure the dhcp server is turned on (it's the radio button toggle at the top), should be by default and it should be handing out addresses on the 192.168.1 subnet.

On your machine run cmd and type in ipconfig /all - certify that you have an ip address of 192.168.1.x

If you've set the router dns to the google dns servers after the router reset then ipconfig should also show you that your dns servers are what you entered on the router if so
All is OK an you should be up and running

You'll probably want to change the default wireless settings, how to do that is inb the user manual.

There is no need to reference the Verizon dns servers

0 Likes