Trouble understanding Actiontec MI424WR port forwarding
rogerl2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm trying to program the port forwarding on my ActionTec MI424WR Verizon FIOS router to take incoming traffic from port 50000 and direct it to a particular host on port 80. I've tried various things, and none seems to work. None of the documentation I've been able to find correctly reproduces the screen I see:

For example, if I specify the Source Ports to be 50000 and the Destination Ports to be 80, I get a message saying that the rule conflicts with another host (192.168.1.25, I assume) servicing port 80. If I set both of those fields to 50000 I at least get a configuration that works, but it's not exactly what I want, since traffic is seen at the destination node as being on port 50000.

There just appear to be too many port dropdowns. Can anyone explain what the various dropdowns mean and, ideally, how I should set them in order to achieve what I want? (I realize that the "right" answer is to buy a commercial router. I would really prefer not to do that unless I have to.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble understanding Actiontec MI424WR port forwarding
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So what you are asking for is the destination port to be 50000 redirected to port 80.

Not having done it, but looking at the screens, Ibeleive you would want to set as follows:

Source Port: Any

Destination port: 50000

Forward to port: 80

Try that. It may cause a conflict in which case you will need a better router.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to take any traffic from source port 50000 (regardless of destination port) and forward to port 80?

0 Likes
rogerl2
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "source port" and "destination port" - that is part of my question. Here is what I'd like to do: I want to take all traffic directed to port 50000 at my external IP address and direct it to port 80 at a particular node on my internal network. So anything of the form <my external address>:50000/foo ends up at 192.168.1.8:80/foo. Does that make sense?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So what you are asking for is the destination port to be 50000 redirected to port 80.

Not having done it, but looking at the screens, Ibeleive you would want to set as follows:

Source Port: Any

Destination port: 50000

Forward to port: 80

Try that. It may cause a conflict in which case you will need a better router.

rogerl2
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, that worked, although I could have sworn I tried that before. Thanks.

Can you explain to me what the Source Ports field means?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Every IP connection not only has an IP address but port as well.

And there are source and destination for both as well.

Typically you don't care about source port.

Destination port is usually dependant on the application.

For extra security, you can filter on source port as well as destination.

But that would be an extreme case as the source port usually is not standard.

0 Likes
rogerl2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought of that, but couldn't figure out why one would ever care about the port of the originating request. In any case, thanks for the help.

0 Likes
jetsfan2018
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for this info. I know its an old post but this helped me in setting up a port forward to a docker container using a different port. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes