Trouble with Sonos and Verizon FIOS
bcarley

I am using a Sonos audio system with a Verizon FIOS ActionTec router. Periodically (every week or so) I lose the ability to connect to *some* Internet Radio stations. Some Internet Radio stations won't work at all, some work intermittently, and some work.

ALL of the "non-working" internet radio stations work just fine when I connect from my laptop using iTunes or other internet radio clients. i.e. I can rule out a problem with the internet radio station.

Other services on the Sonos work, both access to my local music collection and access to streaming internet services like Pandora. So I know my Sonos can connect to the internet.

Rebooting the Sonos doesn't resolve the problem. Rebooting the router doesn't solve the problem. Shutting everything down, waiting an hour, and re-starting it doesn't solve the problem.

The only thing I have found that solves the problem is resetting the router to it's default configuration.... Which is strange, since I have changed none of the configuration of the router. But clearly a "factory reset" clears something that a reboot doesn't.

I don't use the WiFi on the FIOS router... I have an Apple Time Capsule downstream of the FIOS router, and the Apple Time Capsule acts as my WiFi access point. So any deficiencies in the FIOS wifi support don't apply.

The ActionTec does provide DHCP and NAT, and of course provides routing between my LAN and Verizon.

My FIOS router is an ActionTec MI424WR-GEN2, running Firmware Version 20.10.7.5. My Sonos setup includes a ZP90 (Hardware version: 1.1.16.4-1, running software version: 3.3, build 14433290) and a ZoneBridge (Hardware version: 1.5.0.0-1, running software version: 3.3, build 14433290).... i.e. all current revs.

I am stumped by this problem, because *most* functions of the Sonos work when I have the problem (including other internet streaming), and internet radio works fine from other devices. If it were a DHCP problem I would expect my Sonos to lose ALL internet connectivity, but that isn't happening.

Any clues or suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Trouble with Sonos and Verizon FIOS
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Is the sonos connected wirelessly or wired? From your post it looks like you may be wireless. Is that right?

0 Likes
Re: Trouble with Sonos and Verizon FIOS
bcarley

spacedebris, the Sonos has a ZoneBridge which is wired (ethernet) to the Time Capsule (which, despite the name, is not only a network attached storage device but also an ethernet bridge and wifi hotspot.)  The Sonos Zoneplayer connects wirelessly to the Sonos ZoneBridge.

While it is possiblle, I doubt that the problem is with the Sonos connectivity to the LAN.  I can ping it, connect to it from the Sonos controller (actuall the Sonos controller App on iPad, iPhone, and laptop, which all work), it can access my music collection from my network attached storage (different device than the Time Capsule), and it can access Pandora streaming music over the internet.

0 Likes